Are unlimited magazine subscriptions a good investment?

iammirgarcia

Registered
Reaction score
So Magzter (one of the services offering "unlimited" magazines aside from Texture/Next Issue) is having a Thanksgiving sale. I'm about to be out of work in April, and I plan to start freelancing this January. Do you think having access to unlimited magazines is a good investment? So I could check out the markets and back catalogs? I'm just really nervous about spending money right now. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not clear on exactly what the question is. As a general statement, my wife has a sub to Next, and for her it is absolutely a good investment. Her monthly payment is far less than what she was putting out for the physical magazines. For me, it wouldn't be as there are only a few magazines that I'm even marginally interested in. But if they added SciAm, for instance, I'd be all in.
In your case, it sounds like you're asking if it's a good investment, given your financial circumstances. I'd respond by asking you if you'll be spending the money on those magazines anyway. If so, yes.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
You could have unlimited access for free at your local library. Why have an extra expense when you know you're going to be on a tight budget as is?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Had a quick look at the link, if this is intended for your freelancing, how many of those magazines do you think you'd actually submit to/have any material for? Otherwise, is there a chance that just browsing, under the guise of 'research', could become a massive time-sink?
(This is my weakness, once upon a time I spent as much in a month on magazines, as they're charging for a year. I stopped doing that, and taking a daily paper, once I realized how much time I was spending flipping through the things, rather than doing anything productive.)

iammirgarcia

Registered
Reaction score
Angry Guy: I think you hit the nail right on the head! Thank you for putting things into perspective. You're right, I will be spending money on some of these magazines anyway, so I might as well plug in for them now while I still have ready cash.

Nate Sean: Unfortunately, our local libraries don't really get much of a budget, so the selection is very limited. I think the one nearest to me only has newspapers.

Frimble3: Really appreciate the input! Now that you mention it, I could see how I'd get caught up in just flipping through these magazines for fun. I'll have to put a time limit on how much time I spend researching (or "researching" ;)) per day, as opposed to actually writing.