Getting into poetry

John Buckley Rose

Registered
Reaction score
I hope this is the right kind of thing to post here, because it seems mostly that there are critiques going on more than anything. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I'm just asking about the best way to get myself into poetry more, specifically writing it. Pretty vague, and maybe even a stupid question to begin-with, I know, but I think, in this day and age, poetry is seen differently for the most part, and I think it can influence how people get into it in the first place. Thoughts pertaining to rules, proper forms, subject-matter, intent, all those kinds of things. As silly as it may seem, I've even wondered if I know enough to properly get into free-verse, which is contradictory because, isn't that a form that purposefully has no established rules?

And, being honest, I don't even know what kinds of styles I like. The only kind of poetry I've ever properly done to a significant degree is haiku, because I've really appreciated how deceptively simple they are, how so few words can evoke so much feeling and imagery. However, I want go move beyond it. Some modern poetry I like, some classics, but sometimes I find the modern to be too pretentious or ridiculous, and sometimes the classics to be too cliche and flowery. I suppose finding some poets that are simple, direct, and subtle would be a good start.

For one thing, I want to be able to express things better that aren't as easily expressed in structured narrative and fictional characters. Little bursts of emotion, or observation, or whatever, which have sometimes come here and there, and I've felt like I don't have the tools to be able to properly give them voice. Even if there's no real and specific thing going on that I want to express, I've sometimes felt this urge to just get things out, even if they're nonsense or disconnected thoughts. A feeling of want to artistically burst at the seams, to pour things out in a torrent, and I feel like poetry would definitely be a good way to do that.

Anyway, any advice pertaining to things like this would be greatly appreciated!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
you can probably learn something from looking at the poems and crits posted here.

speaking for myself, I strive not to just randomly put out torrents of emotion because I think that generally makes for bad poetry. I try to express my meaning through metaphor and/or imagery.

my own belief is that in good poetry every word counts and has a purpose, and none are just blurts. free verse may not have an established form, but nor is it (if it's any good) just emo prose with line breaks.

Last edited:

John Buckley Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Well of course it wouldn't just be an emotional dumping-ground. That's generally why I like haiku, because it can convey things in a metaphor without going out of its way to make itself noticed. So, I wouldn't, for instance, use poetry to express how angry I am at someone if they've upset me, but rather to have another way of expressing myself when certain things come up, like just observing nature, or the way people act, or just different things like that. Definitely not the emo nonsense!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
you can certainly use poetry to express anger, sorrow, and other emotions. it's just that they shouldn't be a mere dump of words saying how sad, etc. you are. express the emotion using metaphor and other poetic devices.

i'm having huge modem problems today and don't have the patience to struggle through them to find and post examples. but we've got some good poems here that are very emotional without being emo dumps.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, JBR, welcome here. From your post I have the impression that you have a pretty well attuned sensibility and all that you need do to go deeper into poetry is read a lot of it and write as much as you can. I agree with Cass that there is a lot to be learned by reading this forum, both the crit threads and also some of the threads in thks, the main poetry room.

Suggestions for reading are only suggestions, but these occur to me: first, check out the free emailed poem-a-day which will give you a rich variety. Sorry I cànt offer link as I am posting from a limiting device here. But google should find it easily. Second, you might appreciate two of my favorite poets, Gary Snyder and Wendell Berry. Both are strong, skilled, and often terse or at least, sparing of any excessive verbal gymnastics.

Gòod luck!

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
there are no thunderbolts, save for the one that eventually kills you.

create your own electricity. if, for a time, you act as a conduit by virtue of taking someone else's electric hand, it can allow you to acclimate and understand.

but eventually, you must let go. if your work is electric, it owes no service to form or convention.

there is no map and the ravens will not feed you.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
To the OP, I would say find poetry you like. No, poetry you love. Read it. Doesn't matter if it's popular or classic. Don't worry about that. Find what you love, and read it. The rest will flow from there.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
i was thinking more about it being associated with his six pack. but maybe that's just me.

eta:

associated with as in being in close proximity with. dear god, man, must i sketch it for you?

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
this thread isn't turning out to be as sexy as I'd hoped.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
i've always favored thor and his mighty hammer, myself.

John Buckley Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice and help! :D

Although, I'm not entirely sure what to think about the electrostatic genitals.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Neither are we.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Thank you all for your advice and help!

the only real advice it to write poems. a lot of poems. all kinds. about all kinds of things. they will likely be bad at first. if you have what it takes, eventually you'll write your way out of all the shit and produce some good stuff. if not, you'll either quit or be an average, perhaps even bad, poet. no shame in that, really. there are millions of them.

best wishes.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I get a charge out of them.

Glyax

Self-proclaimed Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Electric penis