Getting into poetry

cjtait

Registered
Reaction score
I love the tips on here...not so sure about the constant mention of genitalia though. Oh my...did I start my OWN comment with a pun!?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
zeus' cock was an unfortunate derail of what is a worthy topic of discussion.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Overlooking Zeus' manhood (I've seen bigger)...

I'm just asking about the best way to get myself into poetry more, specifically writing it. Pretty vague, and maybe even a stupid question to begin-with, I know, but I think, in this day and age, poetry is seen differently for the most part, and I think it can influence how people get into it in the first place. Thoughts pertaining to rules, proper forms, subject-matter, intent, all those kinds of things. As silly as it may seem, I've even wondered if I know enough to properly get into free-verse, which is contradictory because, isn't that a form that purposefully has no established rules?

And, being honest, I don't even know what kinds of styles I like. The only kind of poetry I've ever properly done to a significant degree is haiku, because I've really appreciated how deceptively simple they are, how so few words can evoke so much feeling and imagery. However, I want go move beyond it. Some modern poetry I like, some classics, but sometimes I find the modern to be too pretentious or ridiculous, and sometimes the classics to be too cliche and flowery. I suppose finding some poets that are simple, direct, and subtle would be a good start.

For one thing, I want to be able to express things better that aren't as easily expressed in structured narrative and fictional characters.

I think there's a misconception of what poetry is here. Poetry doesn't have to follow any set of rules per se. That said, it does help to understand formal terminology and theory in a basic, rudimentary sense. However, no poet, not even the greats, stick to those 'rules' with absolute conviction--they all experimented and bent them to suite their needs, often on a poem by poem basis. But that doesn't address what poetry is, does it; just what can be used to help write it. Poetry differs from prose in that it is a condensed, yet also intensified portrayal of something. It uses rhythmic language (phonology, pace and composition, syntax and structure), spacing (line breaks, line grouping/formatting/layout) and register (vocabulary and linguistic nuance)--and relies heavily on figurative device to achieve a work which profoundly connects with the reader. Poems can be long, short, epic; one word, one line, a thousand words, a thousand lines, but they all grasp at and present the crystalisation of a thought or moment to tell/show a story, message, idea or emotive state. In short, poetry is a literary art-form which bridges the space between reader and writer.

My answer to how you get there is a boring one; it is achieved by reading poetry, writing poetry and sharing poetry. Don't get hung up about stylistic preference, form or not... just read it, just write it. Share it and take onboard any criticism, be prepared to edit and work at it. I've written mountains of shite, honestly, some it embarrassingly trite and cringeworthy. Edgar Poe has a lot to answer for in my quagmire of teenage angst--Frost should be ashamed of some of the stuff he's inspired from me. But had it not been for all of that, I wouldn't write like I do now. Perseverance.

Then again, you say 'getting into poetry' which implies you're not into it. If you have to force yourself into poetry, don't. If you're interested, read whatever comes your way and ask instead for reading recommendations--then go and read them :)

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I think the OP wandered away from this thread and the poetry forum three months ago when this thread was last active, but perhaps he was simply intimidated by Zeus's electrostatic genitalia.