Not open for further replies.

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Hi all!

**EDIT** I totally meant PARANORMAL and not supernatural. Sorry!

I'm nearly ready to start querying my first fiction novel (yay!) except for one thing: I can't seem to pick a genre. I know many books dip their toes into a handful of genres, but in all my research, I keep finding conflicting information when it comes to Urban Fantasy and Paranormal.

For example- one article said Urban Fantasy must take place in the city and have romantic elements, while another said what makes UF is that the story takes place in modern day with some supernatural elements (a la Twilight, though I wouldn't necessarily compare my MS to that).

My story takes place in modern day. The MC is--by definition-- a reaper. There are no specific ages, but the characters all feel to be mid-late teens. It definitely has suspense elements, twists and turns, and the MC is in almost constant danger. Romance? Not really. The story follows along the MC's journey to find out who she really is, and although she doesn't start out on this path- to stop the 'bad guy'.

I've been tempted to call it YA Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Suspense, or just plain YA.

I know it's a tough call, but how would you categorize it? I know many authors can change a query to fit into many different categories depending on what each agent they query represents, but I also want to have a decent handle on a main genre to pitch. If that makes sense. My head is spinning!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
How are the supernatural beings integrated into the human population or contemporary setting? Are they co-existing with humans or living in a secret invisible society, etc?

What types of supernatural beings are you using?

No romance? Then definitely not paranormal romance.

Hmm... Can be urban fantasy, or the more broader category, contemporary fantasy?

If it's not a city, or the city is not really an important aspect, but it's still modern times, then most likely Contemporary Fantasy may be your best bet.

I'm not sure if supernatural is an actual category (sub genre/genre) per se, but maybe it can be used to describe the novel in a query?

Last edited:

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
The only supernatural beings are the reapers. They don't really interact with the humans. There's a shift in the story where the MC does... hard to explain without giving it all away!

Everything I've read about fantasy says you can really only categorize as fantasy if you take all the "weird" out, and the story is not set in modern times. If you take the weird out and the world is normal, it's "supernatural". Urban fantasy was the only fantasy category I was thinking I could even consider because of that. It's all so confusing! *headdesk*

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Okay I think my brain is so fuzzy that I meant PARANORMAL, not supernatural. My bad.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Everything I've read about fantasy says you can really only categorize as fantasy if you take all the "weird" out, and the story is not set in modern times. If you take the weird out and the world is normal, it's "supernatural". Urban fantasy was the only fantasy category I was thinking I could even consider because of that. It's all so confusing! *headdesk*

Um, what, lol? What do you mean "weird" parts? Speculative fiction, fantasy, and scifi (and science fantasy), and magic realism can all have "weird" stuff...?

Speculative fiction is the broad umbrella term for stories with speculative aspects. Fantasy and scifi are the smaller broad categories under that umbrella.

Fantasy can be modern times--the broad category for that is called: Contemporary Fantasy.

Then there's sub genres like Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance, etc.

Okay I think my brain is so fuzzy that I meant PARANORMAL, not supernatural. My bad.

Hmm...

I know there's a Paranormal Romance genre, but I don't know if Paranormal (without romance) is considered an actual genre.

For modern-day fantasy, I usually see Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, or Contemporary Fantasy...

Last edited:

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
By "weird" (and I was quoting the article I read, albeit less clearly) I mean the characters that make the story "not normal"- whether they be vampires, werewolves, zombies, reapers. Remove that from the story and you're still in another world, it's "fantasy" (Game of Thrones). Remove it and it's in the "normal" world, and you have "Paranormal".
And every site I read did state Paranormal is a genre.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
By "weird" (and I was quoting the article I read, albeit less clearly) I mean the characters that make the story "not normal"- whether they be vampires, werewolves, zombies, reapers. Remove that from the story and you're still in another world, it's "fantasy" (Game of Thrones). Remove it and it's in the "normal" world, and you have "Paranormal".
And every site I read did state Paranormal is a genre.

Sometimes it depends on the supernatural beings and creatures.

So, yes, you can have paranormal, urban fantasy, or contemporary fantasy, depending on the creatures and type of "feel" to the story (like horror, or action elements for Urban Fantasy).

I would suggest looking at the Urban Fantasy sub-forum here. (See post below)

There is also a set of informational posts about various genres here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?18764-Aunt-Cathy-s-Lecture-Series-1-Genres

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like your story could go either way (Urban Fantasy or Paranormal). Are the Reapers like the ones in legends/myths (like the Grim Reaper) or are they made up of an entirely different made up group?

No other paranormal beings like ghosts, vampires, or werewolves?

It sounds like Urban Fantasy (at the moment) to me? (Urban Fantasy doesn't need romance, either.)

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Sorry bunny- fell asleep!

The reapers are not standard by-definition grim reapers. Still perform the same tasks, but they definitely don't walk around in black cloaks carrying scythes, haha. They are the only supernatural element in the book. I think the only reason I'm currently iffy on UF is because many definitions say that the story takes place in a descriptive "city" setting. The human world, while playing a role in my story, is kind of secondary to the characters themselves. Nondescript. At the same time, I know UF is very flexible.

I think you're right in that it could go either way. I do think it could fit into either category and like most books, just takes the right agent to say "heck yes!"

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Maybe you're worrying too much about the exact label to use. All of them are fuzzy and overlapping, and different people use each label different ways.

In a query it may be better to describe your story and let the agent or publisher decide what label to use to describe your book. They may even use different labels, depending on to whom they are trying to sell it.

Incidentally, there's forum specifically for these kinds of questions and people there may be better able to answer them. Did you not know of it? It's Science Fiction/Fantasy.

Last edited:

HoldinHolden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Well, since I know my book isn't sci-fi/fantasy, that wouldn't be a forum I'd think of posting in, but as I said above, I think I got as much of an answer as I can (and I basically agreed with what you said). It's a gray area, and I should probably just learn to live with it!

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Well, since I know my book isn't sci-fi/fantasy, that wouldn't be a forum I'd think of posting in, but as I said above, I think I got as much of an answer as I can ...

Errh, really? It certainly seems to be fantasy of SOME kind, exactly what specific kind is the question. And you are more likely to get an answer in that forum than this one. But if you're satisfied with the answer, fine. We're happy for you. AW scores again!

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Well, since I know my book isn't sci-fi/fantasy, that wouldn't be a forum I'd think of posting in, but as I said above, I think I got as much of an answer as I can (and I basically agreed with what you said). It's a gray area, and I should probably just learn to live with it!

Er, Urban Fantasy is on the fantasy spectrum, lol. Unless you think it's scifi or magic realism?

Basically, most scifi/fantasy stuff tends to be either grouped together or close enough together (next to a YA paranormal section) in a book store.

Yeah, your idea sounds like it would fit well in the SF/F sections of bookstores. Unless you think it's literary to be magic realism? (Or mainstream enough to be General Fiction?)

So, yeah. Most likely it will be shelved in scifi/fantasy or right next to it (YA Paranormal is right next to SF/f in my bookstores).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If we weren't allowed to discuss other spec fic genres in the SFF room, I would've been kicked out a long time ago.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Generally speaking, the same publishers that handle fantasy handle urban fantasy handle supernatural handle paranormal. So ... submit your book to them and let the publisher and their marketing department figure out which sub-niche to put it in.

If you're wondering what to put in the cover letter, then just pick one of the allied group and go with it. No one is going to reject a brilliant book because the cover letter said "paranormal" when it was really "urban fantasy."

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry bunny- fell asleep!

The reapers are not standard by-definition grim reapers. Still perform the same tasks, but they definitely don't walk around in black cloaks carrying scythes, haha. They are the only supernatural element in the book. I think the only reason I'm currently iffy on UF is because many definitions say that the story takes place in a descriptive "city" setting. The human world, while playing a role in my story, is kind of secondary to the characters themselves. Nondescript. At the same time, I know UF is very flexible.

I think you're right in that it could go either way. I do think it could fit into either category and like most books, just takes the right agent to say "heck yes!"

You fell asleep!What is this world coming to? j/k

Urban Fantasy (UF) does not have to be in a city. It has to be in a real-life setting. Sookie Stackhouse books are in a little town in Louisiana and are considered UF.

I have seen Paranormal Fantasy, but it's more rare. Most people jump to UF or to Paranormal Romance. Yours, form the brief description, sounds like UF to me.

Generally speaking, the same publishers that handle fantasy handle urban fantasy handle supernatural handle paranormal. So ... submit your book to them and let the publisher and their marketing department figure out which sub-niche to put it in.

If you're wondering what to put in the cover letter, then just pick one of the allied group and go with it. No one is going to reject a brilliant book because the cover letter said "paranormal" when it was really "urban fantasy."

True that!

danthony

Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought of Urban Fantasy as more of the occult detective/demon hunter type stories, focusing on the action/adventure aspects, and Paranormal being short for Paranormal Romance, obviously focusing on the romance side of things, although those waters can get pretty muddied sometimes. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up a book described as Urban Fantasy only to be disappointed when it turns out to be more romance-focused.

The bigger consideration, in my opinion, is the age group you're marketing it to. The agents, editors, and publishers of adult UF and Paranormal don't necessarily do YA, and bookstores often shelve them in different spots (my B&N has them on completely opposite sides of the store!). You mentioned the characters feeling mid-late teen. The YA market is really hot right now, so you might even make that your primary focus and market it as such, maybe as YA Urban Fantasy, but that's just my two cents.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with James that it really doesn't matter at this point. Let others figure it out. The distinction (if there is one) likely won't get you rejected anywhere.

But I guess, in my mind, Buffy is urban fantasy and The X-Files is paranormal. Both are supernatural.

Last edited:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been tempted to call it YA Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Suspense, or just plain YA.
!

YA isn't a genre. It's a category, so like danthony said you'd be looking at YA Fantasy/UF.

Side note/questions: Something I've found interesting is that if you look for adult fantasy books you find lots of subcategories like superheros, urban fantasy, alternative history, etc., but for YA they list just fantasy, horror, and one other thing. Are YA's less discerning about these things?

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I'd say what you have there is a YA Urban Fantasy. "Paranormal" is almost always shorthand for "Paranormal Romance", which your book doesn't sound like it is.

BTW when you write your query please don't call it a "fiction novel". Just don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.