Question about editor (flat-rate exist?)

alvin123

Author of Hell to Pay (Blood for S)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
Anyone know of any legitimate novel editor that charges a flat rate? (Any writer knows it's going to be expensive.)

I've got a a 100K+ Novel that I'd like to be evaluated and edited by pro (I don't exactly have the best eye sight to catch every little thing).

I'm predicting that this is probably going to cost somewhere between $1k to $4.5K (being optimistic)

Or if Flat rates editors don't exist, any suggestions for reputable editors that won't be a result of Google leading me to a scam..

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There are several editorial agencies which will give you a lot of help with your book, for less than your lowest estimate.

But before you go ahead with any of them, have you put any of your work up in SYW here? That's a very useful first step to take, as it will highlight problems which are likely to permeate your book.

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Old Hack's wise advice to try posting excerpts here before paying someone else. You have enough posts to qualify.

Also, you might want to trim your word count a bit, unless the book is fantasy or another genre that can be longish.

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of editors can quote you a flat rate. They'll want to see what they'll be editing and get an idea of what you're looking for so there aren't any surprises. One place to start is with the members of the Editorial Freelancers Association.

alvin123

Author of Hell to Pay (Blood for S)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
It's been a while and I, a long time member, ha. I remember that 100K novel. Look at me now, I've actually pulled it out of the void some weeks ago and is currently revising it myself. It's state in a condition, today's ME do not approve. (Because I read a lot of Urban Fantasy such as Iron Druid, Demon Accords.) :/ my Skill level isn't perfect but has risen significantly over the years. And I am still rising.

---I'm looking into that EFA link but for an entirely different book.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
MissyMay is right that you can find lots of editors on various websites. But if they've not been mentored properly their work isn't likely to be good; and while it's common to ask for short edits for free, it's impossible to tell how good a structural editor is from the work they do on a brief excerpt. You just can't see how good their vision for your book is going to be from a single chapter.

Instead, before you pay anyone to work on your book for you, find out what their experience and training is. If they haven't worked for good, established publishers and on a few strong-selling books in the genre you write in, they're not likely to be able to help you.

It's kind to give young, keen, new editors a chance. But don't let them learn their craft on your books. Make sure they know what they're doing before they get their hands on your work. I've seen so many potentially good books completely screwed by inexperienced editors, and it's not nice.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The success rate of novels that go through paid editors is no higher than novels that do not. Many editors who work at publishing houses want writers who can do their own work because that's exactly what the writer will have to do during the revision/rewriting process that usually comes before publication.

Hiring one is fine, if you intend to self-publish, but you'll be paying a lot of money for something you can either do yourself, or that any number of people will do for free.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The success rate of novels that go through paid editors is no higher than novels that do not. Many editors who work at publishing houses want writers who can do their own work because that's exactly what the writer will have to do during the revision/rewriting process that usually comes before publication.

Hiring one is fine, if you intend to self-publish, but you'll be paying a lot of money for something you can either do yourself, or that any number of people will do for free.

Mr. Ritchie

You have absolutely no way of knowing that, and again, your data is about twenty years out of date.

Large numbers of editors working for big 5 trade publishers are paid as 1099 employees.

You can hire the same editors to work on your books; people like Betsy Mitchell, for instance.

Moreover, you have no way of obtaining the data to support your bullshit assertion.

You really need to stop making these assertions when you can't possibly support them. It's not helpful. It's not honest, and frankly, it's wishful thinking on your part.

I'm not warning you again. We've tried everything with you; we've tried back channel PMs. We've tried putting you on temp bans, and a number of other methods.

Stop doing this. Seriously. This is the last bullshit post of yours I'll tolerate.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware that hanging out a shingle doesn't make you an editor.

Be especially wary about hiring an editor whose prose is substandard.