$500 Promo Spending 'Challenge'

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
I'm gearing up to do some more focused promo work (something I neglected to plan in enough detail before launch) and quickly came across Kirkus Reviews as we all do, and then scoffing a bit at the price as I'm sure many of us also do! I was interested in what you could get for the same amount and thought it would make a pretty interesting thread...

So, what would you spend US$500 on regarding promo for a self-published novel?

It can be any combination or number of things expensive or cheap. I'm really intrigued to see what people come up with, and it will no doubt help immensely in choosing my own path!

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Bookbub, if they accept you. If not, then E-reader News Today, Free Kindle Books & Tips, and Fussy Librarian. Plus, with the leftover cash, some targeted AMS ad campaigns.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to move this to our book promotion room, where it's a much better fit.

The OP might benefit from reading the "SEO Dweeb" thread there. Just a thought.

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
Thanks for moving to the appropriate sub-forum...and many thanks to those who have replied :)

I did read through much of the SEO Dweeb thread, and found it useful but for the most part doesn't cover various paid services and other advertising/review options that are available online. It's more about appropriate self-promotion through social media, forums and communities rather than direct advertising/promo (which is what I'm interested in here). Definitely important and some really great advice in that thread which I'll be looking to implement (it's also reassuring to know that I'm doing a lot of it already and have seen some success), but not really what I was asking about. Just saying.

There is of course plenty of material on here for me to dig through, and I'll certainly be focusing on doing that, but I thought people like the thought exercise of divvying up $500 specifically and seeing how it might be rationed out (particularly given that the coveted Bookbub is sometimes a difficult nut to crack). I was also interested in getting up to date information, as these things move very quickly in the digital sphere and many of these threads are a few years old at this point...

I haven't seen much success from either Goodreads or Amazon advertising, and certainly not enough to cover the cost of the marketing. So will be looking beyond those for some next steps. As this is my first novel I'm willing to throw more at it (removing any expectation of profit really!) so that I can learn some needed lessons for any future work. I'll be taking a close look at this over a planned long-weekend and will report back with my own decisions on where to spend the money...

If anybody else has any good suggestions or services/channels they've had success with please do chip in! Facebook advertising is something that I had kind of written off, but have seen enough people recommend it now to give it a (small) shot. Then of course the Countdown Deals combined with the various listings that people recommend, if I can get approved.

I'm excited to see what comes out of it, and will definitely share any experiences/success/failures with you all :)

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
If you have the time, there's an extremely long, detailed and somewhat rambling discussion of book promotion sites on Goodreads, but it contains lots of data. The usual caveat applies: what works for one author/book may not work for another.

Kboards is another great place to check for book promotion sites. I always search for a new site there first, before deciding to try it.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Bookbub seems to want books that are cheap or free, correct? Does this mean I can submit mine if it costs $2.99? Or do I have to wait for it to go on sale somehow?

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
If you have the time, there's an extremely long, detailed and somewhat rambling discussion of book promotion sites on Goodreads, but it contains lots of data. The usual caveat applies: what works for one author/book may not work for another.

Kboards is another great place to check for book promotion sites. I always search for a new site there first, before deciding to try it.

Now that is truly a treasure trove of excellent (and pretty up to date) information - thank you kindly! :)

itsvictoria_b

Registered
Reaction score
I would say Bookbub, but for my genre, it's way more than $500. The last time I checked, it was about $720 if I were lucky enough to be picked. Other than that, I'd probably try targeted ads, buying an ad on a popular blogger's website, E-Reader News Today, Fussy Librarian, etc.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen much success from either Goodreads or Amazon advertising, and certainly not enough to cover the cost of the marketing. So will be looking beyond those for some next steps. As this is my first novel I'm willing to throw more at it (removing any expectation of profit really!) so that I can learn some needed lessons for any future work. I'll be taking a close look at this over a planned long-weekend and will report back with my own decisions on where to spend the money...

500.00 isn't enough for Bookbub and similar quality sites.

Were I you, I'd use the 500.00 to cover review copies/postage.

Goodreads/Library Thing giveaways, especially if you're already active on the sites as a reader of books.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I would follow in the footsteps of an author friend of mine and buy as many copies of my own book as possible for the purposes of trying to resell them.