Scam Publishers?

cylemmulo

Registered
Reaction score
A few months ago I inquired with a couple publishing companies about publishing a Novella. Ever since then, they call me or email send me an email every couple weeks pleading to give them a chance. I've since delayed publishing it (which I informed them about) but it hasn't stopped them from calling more.

My question is, why are these guys so eager to try and publish a Novella from a no-name author? I feel like every time they call they're going to offer me a free trip to the Cayman Islands while they publish my book. Are these type of companies one that charge you a ton to publish your stuff or something?

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If they're eager to publish your first, unseen novella, chances are good you'll be paying a lot for them to do it.

If you want to vanity publish it, there are almost certainly cheaper ways. (I can say this 1) never having published a book myself, and 2) never having heard of this publisher.)

If you want to traditionally publish it, probably best to not return their calls or emails.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
That isn't how publishing works. It also isn't how any ethical business works. Spam calls are NOT okay practice when someone isn't a customer. Lots of countries have laws against it, and while this may not be illegal (IANAL), it's a low rung on the ladder of how to behave as a corporate citizen.

Are these the people you want handling your readers? Or your inquiries? Do you want a working, business relationship with this company? If no--and it should be no--go elsewhere.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Trip to the Cayman Islands? Think this through. A company doesn't take on a project that doesn't make them money. If they're gonna pay for such a trip, they'll have to be sure to make enough profit off you to cover those expenses and have something left to fill their own pockets afterwards. Otherwise it makes no sense for a business to offer such a thing. If you're new to the market, no publisher will have reasonable expectations that high of your novella. Perhaps a real huge-ass company might risk making losses in order to reel in something big, but a) they don't sound like a huge-ass company, and b) with your project not being an established best-selling author's, there isn't any promise of it being big enough to make the expense worth it.

If you sign with them, my money is on your never getting that trip, or any royalties. This reminds me of the Cameroon pet scam. Promise you the world for free, but only if... "Oh wait, there's a fee here. You pay pls k thx bai". "Oh, another fee. U pay thx bai?" and another fee.

RUN.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They sound like they're only interested in the money they're going to get you to pay them for publishing your book.

Publishing doesn't work this way. Either you get a trade deal, and the publisher pays you; or you self-publish, and remain in control of everything you do. Buy in your own services. Don't hand your book and a large chunk of cash over to a publisher who will stop making an effort as soon as your cheque is cashed. Be wary.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
It definitely sounds suspect. Only very rarely would an author be in the position of having legit publishers chasing them instead of the other way around.

Have they actually read your novella, or at least an excerpt of it? If they had and they were legit, they might say in response to you delaying it that they are still interested and feel free to contact them again when you are ready. If they haven't seen any of it and yet are still chasing you every couple of weeks like that I'd definitely assume that the only book of yours they care about is your cheque book.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider it the way they're behaving. It sounds like the classic case of vanity publishing. You definitely don't want that.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
In related advice, don't include your phone number in your contact details. If you end up working with a company and they want your number, that's different. But at the asking a few questions stage, it's best to stick to email only. It makes it a lot easier to block spammers.

As it's a bit late in the day for this one, I'd suggest you cut the polite excuses. Saying you're delaying publishing or whatever else means you're still a potential customer. They don't hear that as a polite no. They hear that as yes, if they keep on pushing. Saying plainly that the calls are unwanted, and you want your contact details removed from their records, is the first step for trying to stop it. Don't get into your novella at all. Don't answer questions about it if they try to change the subject. Respond to all questions with a repeat of what you want them to do. Stay calm and don't swear/verbally attack them. Just be very clear about what you want.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
My question is, why are these guys so eager to try and publish a Novella from a no-name author?

Because they expect that you'll pay them a lot of money.

There's no other reason for them to be behaving the way they are.

What's the name of this company?