Name for a parasitic bug?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my current WIP, there is a flying bug that lays eggs in its victims, which includes people. The larvae hatch and go for the heart. Sorry, you're probably already grossed out. So am I.

Anyway, it's another planet, so the colonists will be naming things as they go. I'm coming up blank on a name for this thing, and would appreciate any help. Don't care if it's funny, scientific, gallows-humorous, or whatever. Just as long as it's something better than 'NAME HERE', which is what I currently have.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
In my current WIP, there is a flying bug that lays eggs in its victims, which includes people. The larvae hatch and go for the heart. Sorry, you're probably already grossed out. So am I.

Anyway, it's another planet, so the colonists will be naming things as they go. I'm coming up blank on a name for this thing, and would appreciate any help. Don't care if it's funny, scientific, gallows-humorous, or whatever. Just as long as it's something better than 'NAME HERE', which is what I currently have.

Flesh Bug
Flesh Fly

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I know this is a dumb question, but I don't get the Cupid reference.
Please, remember that the American's is not my original culture.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Well, there are bot fly larvae in the real world. There are many different species of bot fly, and some afflict humans. They typically infect the gastrointestinal system, the flesh, or the nasal cavity or their host species. If you're dealing with alien insectoids anyway, then maybe the colonists would call such a creature "heartflies," or "heart bots" or something?

And there's a kind of roundworm (heartworm) that parasitizes dogs (and lodges in the right side of their hearts) that is spread via mosquitoes.

So calling something that burrows towards the heart "heart" whatever makes sense.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is a dumb question, but I don't get the Cupid reference.
Please, remember that the American's is not my original culture.

Cupid is the Greek god of love. The parasites head straight for the heart - hence the connection.

Last edited:

Jack Judah

Lost somewhere on the Nile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm throwing in my vote for "cupid" as well.

Or you could call the little buggers politicians.

In all seriousness, though, "cupid" is perfect.