Movie/animation character movement pet peeves!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I get that. Some anime are like that, too. But I do wonder why most contemporary Western animation styles tend to run toward the simplistic.

I'm not sure.

Maybe it's because western animation tends to use caricature - and simplicity goes with caricature like Five Guy's hamburger's go with my facehole.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
In Western animation, I'm mostly getting tired of the sameface problem digital studios are having. Racial diversity's still an issue too, but with Big Hero 6, Home, The Book of Life and upcoming CoCo I feel like things are visibly improving.
If it's any consolation, lots of anime characters can also be told apart by shape of eyes and hairstyle only.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
If it's any consolation, lots of anime characters can also be told apart by shape of eyes and hairstyle only.

They've lost a lot of silhoutte strength lately -- not to pick on Digimon Tri again, but contrast the silhouttes in Digimon Adventure versus Digimon Tri. The hairstyle 'realism' isn't too widespread yet, we still get shows like One Punch Man that have a really good sense of silhouettes, but a lot of anime are moving towards a 'standard' eye style for a show that really ruins some of the variety we used to have.

But hey, I've been watching anime a long, long time now. It's entirely possible I'm just reaching the "THINGS WERE BETTER BACK IN MY DAY" stage of style crotchetiness. Overall anime's had a lot of improvements to be thankful for, much cleaner styles, a huge leap in background technology improvement, and rotoscoping is creating some amazing work like Evangelion's piano scene.

There's a lot I adore about anime, but I didn't mention it in the last post to try and keep on-topic to the thread.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
and white/Asian (depending on how you interpret pale anime characters)

I still don't get how many people don't get that Japanese characters in a Japanese setting are Japanese just because the skin tone doesn't match up with Asian stereotypes.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
But hey, I've been watching anime a long, long time now. It's entirely possible I'm just reaching the "THINGS WERE BETTER BACK IN MY DAY" stage of style crotchetiness.

Well. There will always be a lot of crap.

The good stuff stays good. Some things have changed, of course.

I doubt we'll ever see the surreal beauty of the glass animation of Ohtori Academy's floating world as in Adolescent Apocalypse again.

The color red will never be as rich as it was in the ink and paint era.

But the hand-drawn mecha battles in Star Driver were still a welcome, recent charm, and we have cool, bizarre stuff like Inu Curry's witch labyrinths in Madoka.

And of course we have Bakemonogatari self-referencing the art style changes over the years.

some amazing work like Evangelion's piano scene.

Well. Anno is always a gold standard.

Even before he had a budget.

I usually hate rotoscope in anime, but he nails it.

Last edited:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Watching The Boondocks... And I love the humour... And mean little Riley... and dry little Huey... But why did they have to adopt one of the most annoying anime tropes of a "shocker" being shown repeatedly from different angles? Plus the "Let's show every shocked face separately to make sure everyone knows everyone's shocked!" shit. Gawd I hate that.

Which brings me to the next. Like those 3 ducklings in Disney. Characters completing each others' sentences as a routine or everyone being given a line in every scene to make sure they're not forgotten by the viewers. No. Don't do that. A good show can literally lose my interest with one such instance.