20 misused English words that make smart people look silly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Most of those, I don't have trouble with, although lie vrs. lay can still trip me up. I appreciated reading about further vrs. farther; I've always been a bit unclear on that distinction, although I'm pretty sure I usually use them correctly.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
On twitter, people are always going on about nauseous versus nauseated, but I've never heard "nauseated" used beyond someone saying that "nauseous" is wrong.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Affect vs Effect
Lie vs lay
Ironic vs coincidental
Nauseous vs. Nauseated
Comprise vs compose

Do YOU know the difference? Check out all of them @ http://qz.com/432285/20-misused-words-that-make-smart-people-look-dumb/

I do, and the whole nauseous instead of nauseous thing used to be one of my pet peeves. Drove me nuts when people said nauseous when they meant afflicted by nausea instead of causing nausea. But unfortunately for me, the OED doesn't agree.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nauseous

nau·seous

(nô′shəs, -zē-əs)adj.1. Causing nausea; sickening: "the most nauseous offal fit for the gods" (John Fowles).
2. Affected with nausea.

nau′seous·ly adv.
nau′seous·ness n.
Usage Note: Traditional usage lore has insisted that nauseous should be used only to mean "causing nausea" and that it is incorrect to use it to mean "feeling sick to one's stomach." Back in 1965, the Usage Panel was in step with this thinking, with 88 percent rejecting the "feeling sick" meaning of nauseous in the sentence Roller coasters make me nauseous, preferring nauseated instead. Over the years, however, this attitude has shifted dramatically. The proportion of Panelists who disapproved of this same sentence dropped to 72 percent in 1988, 39 percent in 1999, and a slim 23 percent in 2013. This change may have been inevitable once people began to think that nauseous did not properly mean "causing nausea." Even in our 1988 survey, this was the case, as 88 percent preferred nauseating in the sentence The children looked a little green from too many candy apples and nauseating (not nauseous) rides. In 2013, the Panel was presented with this sentence using the word nauseous, and only 30 percent found it acceptable. Since there is abundant evidence for the "feeling sick" use of nauseous, the word presents a classic example of a word whose traditional, "correct" usage has largely been supplanted by a newer, "incorrect" one. In other words, what was once considered an error is now standard practice. Nauseous is now far more common than nauseated in describing the sick feeling.

So "loose" instead of "lose" has become my new pet peeve.

Another thing people mess up frequently is compliment versus complement.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good point.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
That's not a bad list, although I was surprised by some of them. Does anyone really mistake comprise for compose?

If we are talking about UK English, I would add in practice/ practise and licence/ license, but that doesn't apply so much in US English.

And (lowering the tone) there is sewage vs sewerage, but again that may be more of a UK vs US English thing.

I wasn't so bothered by "dumb". Sure, its proper meaning is "can't or won't speak", but the alternative meaning of stupid has become common usage.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
On twitter, people are always going on about nauseous versus nauseated, but I've never heard "nauseated" used beyond someone saying that "nauseous" is wrong.

Yeah, same.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's similar to nauseous, but the article is wrong about farther and further according to modern dictionaries. They have nearly completely overlapping meanings. Both can be used for physical distance, both can be used for abstract progress. The only time I think they're not interchangeable is when placed in front of a noun and used in the metaphorical sense. All these are correct:

Anne was farther along in her studies than Charles.
Anne was further along in her studies than Charles.
Lance decided to forgo further studies.

But not

*Lance decided to forgo farther studies.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
There are worse offenses than these. Evolve vs. involve comes to mind. Most of the examples from the article involve homophones (affect), multifaceted rules of usage (lay), or uncommon words (Comprise doesn't cause me difficulty, simply because I have never had occasion to use it.) They are indeed mistakes smart people could make. If someone mixes up evolve and involve, though, I jump to the conclusion that they aren't smart. They sound sufficiently different. They mean something different enough that you shouldn't allow yourself to believe that one is a metaphor for the other. If you mix them up, I come to the conclusion that you don't know the meaning of one of the words. When you hear that one, instead of taking the opportunity to learn a word you don't know, you assume you heard the other, despite the fact that its meaning would be nonsensical there. You then correct your pronunciation of the word you know to the one you don't.

Loose vs. lose bothers me as much, although objectively I think I'm being too harsh there. The correct spelling defies the normal rules of phonics. Since loose is also a legitimate spelling of another word, its misuse doesn't imply functional illiteracy. Careful readers will note the difference, but this is really in the category of except and accept: very disparate meanings, but easily confused associations of the spoken word to the written one.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If we are talking about UK English, I would add in practice/ practise and licence/ license, but that doesn't apply so much in US English.

Those aren't misuses or misunderstanding of the words. They're just regional spelling differences. The words, however spelled (spelt), have the same meaning.

caw

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's similar to nauseous, but the article is wrong about farther and further according to modern dictionaries. They have nearly completely overlapping meanings. Both can be used for physical distance, both can be used for abstract progress. The only time I think they're not interchangeable is when placed in front of a noun and used in the metaphorical sense. All these are correct:

Anne was farther along in her studies than Charles.
Anne was further along in her studies than Charles.
Lance decided to forgo further studies.

But not

*Lance decided to forgo farther studies.

I only use "farther" for measurable distances.

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
I often see people confusing allude and elude (and occasionally even illude, for some reason).

And regarding ironic vs. coincidental: irony is dead. Alanis Morrissette killed it.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Those aren't misuses or misunderstanding of the words. They're just regional spelling differences. The words, however spelled (spelt), have the same meaning.

caw

In UK English, they are different forms of the verb, so yes, they can be wrongly used.

[Practise is akin to advise, as practice is to advice.]

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Invoke/evoke

Elicit/illicit

Desert/dessert

Blond/blonde

Kevin Nelson

Aspiring to authorship since 1975
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone really mistake comprise for compose?

In what I read, "comprise" is usually used as if it meant "compose." I've sometimes thought it must be the most widely misused word in the English language. Personally, I avoid using it at all.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, the nauseous/nauseated shift has well and truly happened (asking people to describe their nausea is my job). The word for 'nausea-inducing' is now nauseating, and nauseous means 'nauseated'. Sorry, guys, but language is a democracy.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
This is what annoys me most: impact used as a verb! You were affected, not impacted because You Are Not A Molar!

I have grammar issues which affect me deeply. Sometimes I vent. Sorry about that!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Here are two that upset me greatly each time I see them in published books (which is often):

vice vs. vise (You cannot get your head caught in a vice, or have a vice-like grip. Well, maybe you can, but this is hard to imagine.)

stanch vs. staunch (You cannot "staunch the flow of blood." You just can't. I'm sorry.)

Maybe Webster's has declared these words interchangeable, and that's why I keep seeing them used that way, because I KNOW that books get diligently copy edited. I've also seen "lay" for "lie" used consistently in a best-selling book, and I can only assume the author was given discretion in the matter.

Another I don't like: "hone in" when it should be "home in."
Oh, and "free reign" instead of "free rein." Makes me go grr argh. I actually had to argue with a student who insisted that phrase was a royal metaphor and not a horse metaphor.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I often see "doesn't jive with" or "his story jives with hers." To jive is to talk shit. The word it's confused with is jibe (or gybe--it has two spellings). It's a sailing term which means your sails are set to the same direction as the wind. See how it makes sense with "the story jibed"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.