When brining a turkey

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
are you supposed to prick the skin? I read that and thought that might actually dry out the bird. I was planning on just loosening up the skin a bit around the vent and neck. It turns out we are having guests so the small Turkey Blau I mentioned in the Turducken thread won't be big enough. I've brined pork and lamb and beef before but never a bird.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never brined anything, but I checked Alton Brown's recipe (he's usually a lot easier to follow than many of the other celebrity chefs). He doesn't say anything about pricking the skin. :Shrug:

MM

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. For some reason my computer wouldn't connect with anything to him. It kept timing out. I don't agree with Alton on everything. I don't agree with anyone all the time, not even myself, but in a crunch he's one of my favorites too. I also think that all the brines I've been reading about call for way too much sugar. I don't like meat to be sweet unless it's my version of barbecue, and then it's not just sweet, but spicy, tangy.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've brined many a turkey, and I've never pricked the skin.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I brine chicken and turkey a lot. All you have to do is mix a few tablespoons of salt (I like coarse salt) with about 10 cups of water (depending on size of bird or parts) and let it sit in the fridge for at least four hours. I don't prick the skin. Always turns out great.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I've tried a few now and found like those above say, pricking the skin didn't seem to do anything but loosening the skin around the vent and neck so that some of the brine can get around the leg and breast meat does help

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
How long is too long to brine?

Thanksgiving or Turkopalypse is coming up. For me this will be next Saturday to fit in with others' schedules and I'm going to have to do the vast majority of it. Youngsters will be driving or flying in from several plus hours away. Some will only be staying one night. Due to nerve damage I will have to spread the cooking over several days, concentrating on things that actually improve with a day or more in the fridge.

Today slice a large onion on the mandolin and put it in to pickle to be used in next Saturday's salad

Meat:
I put the turkey in the fridge to thaw on Friday. (13 pounds) Wednesday I'll put in a salt brine overnight (would 24 hours be too long?) and then Thursday drain it, coat it in spice rub (freshly ground sweet and picante red peppers, cumin, bay and rosemary) and put it back in the fridge loosely covered to be roasted on Saturday. Steam the giblets and neck in prep to be used on Saturday for the dressing.

Vegetable:
Thursday make Carrot soup with some onions garlic and celery and veg broth and then leave it in the fridge til Saturday when I was going to roast some cauliflower to add to the soup for flavor and texture, top with some chives, dill weed and sour cream.

Dessert:
Thurs or Fri depending on how tired, Make a lime cheesecake with gluten free crust of almond flour, chopped pistachios (I'm probably not going to be able to find unsalted pistachios around here so will probably have to wash, dry and roast them), coconut, butter and brown sugar (IDK with all these recent nut recalls maybe I should plan to wash dry and roast them anyway?)

Starch:
Friday make GF cornbread to be used for dressing on Saturday. Chop the veggies to be used for dressing.

Saturday:

Assemble the dressing
Roast the cauliflower for the soup
Put the turkey in the oven when my son calls to say that he's boarding his plane

When the kids arrive, while I'm making the gravy they can do the chopping, peeling to make a salad (greens that look good, feta, peel some baby oranges, slice a variety of olives and artichoke hearts, toss in some pine nuts and dried cranberries)

Do you think a full day is too long to brine if I'm also going to do a couple day rest with a spice rub? I wasn't planning on adding salt to the rub.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
George, you are my hero! All that work, all by yourself (except for some help at the end)!
When my dad did Thanksgiving all by himself, he took the turkey out of the freezer the night before. With the expected (lack of) results.
And my mother was of the 'canned soup and frozen vegetables' persuasion.
And, you're doing it, what? a month earlier than U.S. Thanksgiving, to fit other people's plans. I think you're ahead of Canadian Thanksgiving as well (October 10)!
You're a good man, George, and while I can offer no cooking advice, (you brine, while I microwave) I wish you great success with your endeavours.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think a full day is too long to brine if I'm also going to do a couple day rest with a spice rub? I wasn't planning on adding salt to the rub.

As long as it's a sizable bird - and with all that you mentioned, I imagine it would be! - overnight to 24 hours should be fine. Maybe give it a good rinse and pat down before adding the rub.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I've never left a turkey in the brine longer than 24 hours. I think the meat might start to break down if you did, but I have done it a full 24 hours in the past, and it turned out really good.

I like to use a honey brine, with ginger and allspice.

I don't know if you've brined before, but I use the turkey drippings to make gravy. Once I started brining, I noticed I needed to cut my drippings with unsalted chicken stock, or the gravy came out too salty.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Re: brining - As far as I know, you wouldn't poke holes for brining. You can inject the meat, which would poke holes, but that's a whole different process.

Not related to brining, but a couple years ago I invented an amazing technique for cooking juicy turkey (even if I do say so myself). It's really easy, and can be done in conjunction with brining and injection and all that other good stuff.

So here's the deal, the reason turkey breast gets dry is because turkeys aren't designed to cook evenly. By the time the inner bits are cooked through, the breast meat is already drying out. The year I learned this fact, I thought, "there has to be a way to correct for that."

I happened to have a freezer full of broth at the time, so what I did was, when I put the bird in the oven, I put it breast side down and put a block of frozen broth under the breast (which propped up the bird at a funny angle, but who cares). The ice under the breast meat kept that part cool while the rest of the bird cooked. Eventually, of course, the broth melted and the breast meat cooked too, but since it had a delayed start, the timing lined up perfectly. I let it cook submerged in the melted broth and only flipped it over near the very end to let the skin brown.It worked a treat, and I can honestly say it was the juiciest turkey I've ever had in my life.

Your plan looks awesome! Happy cooking!

Last edited:

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How long is too long to brine?...(would 24 hours be too long?)

You're good. I usually brine for 24 hours. I have read of people who brined their birds for 2-3 days and they say "its' the best they've every had". Meh.

Though the pricking question is old, I'll add my 2-cents. There's no reason to poke holes when you brine. It soaks for a long period of time to seep in there.

Oh and lime cheesecake...uh delicious!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
You're good. I usually brine for 24 hours. I have read of people who brined their birds for 2-3 days and they say "its' the best they've every had". Meh.

Though the pricking question is old, I'll add my 2-cents. There's no reason to poke holes when you brine. It soaks for a long period of time to seep in there.

Oh and lime cheesecake...uh delicious!
That helped. To try and save my arms a bit I put the turkey in the brine a day early (Tues) to give me time to rest. Today I took it out of the brine and put the spice rub inside and out and put it back in the fridge for Sat. Yesterday I dealt with the neck and giblets so they will be ready for the dressing on Sat and made the carrot soup. It will need a couple days for the flavors to mingle before they will dance. I washed the salt off the pistachios and lightly toasted them. I'm resting a bit before making the cheese cake. Tomorrow the cornbread and chopping of veggies that will go into the dressing.

It's definitely the way to go to break things up into dishes that can and should be done ahead of time. In the past I would spend 2 days straight just preparing and by the time of the meal I was so exhausted and in so much pain I couldn't enjoy it

Took all morning to make the cheesecake. It ended up being deeper than usual due to several last minute substitutions which throws off the cooking time and temp. The GF crust had to be thicker than usual to get it to stand up. I was missing a lime (made it up with an orange and a bit of lemon juice) and a package of cream cheese (made that up with a clump of ricotta in the back of the fridge). It's smelling wonderful although my arms hurt. Again, breaking it up into manageable tasks and aiming specifically for foods that do better after a prolonged rest should be the key

Dang it the center is not setting up! the center is still too jiggly. The top is starting to brown. It went from puffy to flat. I'm going to just turn off the oven and let it rest in there. Hopefully the carry over will cook it without burning it. Worst case scenario I partially freeze it and serve it with a scoop like ice cream. Maybe I need to add an egg to the recipe? Best case scenario it's an illusion that will be dealt with by refrigerating it. In between there's still time before Saturday to make something else for dessert.

Tried the pickled onions. They are harsh. I need to reduce the sulfur. As far as I know chelation won't work. I need to let the sulfur evolve, so I took off the top of the container, added some non-iodized salt and put it back in the fridge. Maybe I should have added vinegar?

It's been a long time since chemistry class I don't remember Acetic acid formulas.

cheese cake finally set, about 3 hours late. I have it in the fridge.

Last edited:

ivylass

Registered
Reaction score
I've done the Alton Brown brine twice (and will do again, since it's my turn to host Thanksgiving) and I've never pricked the skin. The skin is porous, so you'll have no problem getting a deliciously juicy turkey.