Introduction

Falco

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Wayne. At age sixty-three, I have a wide and varied work background; twenty years of military service, most of that in the Army National Guard of several states, along with work in the environmental field as a civil servant and in private industry. Ten years ago, I earned a master's degree which allowed me to cut my salary in half. I am now a social worker in the Pittsburgh PA metro area, as is my wife. We're in it for the money.

My writing so far has been largely technical reports, but I write personal essays and poetry every now and then just to get something out of my head. At the age of sixteen I had a piece published in the newspaper about a week-long hike I took with the Boy Scouts; lately it has been essays in the church newsletter. Next week I start a poetry writing group at the shelter where I am employed.

Wayne

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Welcome to AW, Falco, from a 20 year Army retiree (RA all the way - ha). Good luck with your writing. I would ask if you miss the Army, but after spending 20 years in, you probably never looked back. I miss the camaraderie, but not the crazy stuff they threw at us. LOL

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Sagml John

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johnbeaverspen.wordpress.com
Hi Wayne! I'm a year younger than you and waited till a couple of years ago to actually start writing after a lifetime of thinking about it. This is my first post also. My military experience was sweating through a lottery call when I turned eighteen. My bag is speculative fiction but I may see you in the poetry forum if I get the inspiration.

Have fun in AW,
-- John

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Wayne. A belated Vets' Day :ty: for your service. Lots of old army guys around here. I'm one, as well. I hope to read some of your poems here.

Writers Choice

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Wayne. At age sixty-three, I have a wide and varied work background; twenty years of military service, most of that in the Army National Guard of several states, along with work in the environmental field as a civil servant and in private industry. Ten years ago, I earned a master's degree which allowed me to cut my salary in half. I am now a social worker in the Pittsburgh PA metro area, as is my wife. We're in it for the money.

My writing so far has been largely technical reports, but I write personal essays and poetry every now and then just to get something out of my head. At the age of sixteen I had a piece published in the newspaper about a week-long hike I took with the Boy Scouts; lately it has been essays in the church newsletter. Next week I start a poetry writing group at the shelter where I am employed.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

If you're only 63 years young, then you have plenty of time to become a best selling author and add that to your list of accomplishments. Welcome to the site!!

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Thank you for your service, sir.

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Wayne! Here's to you and your poetry group. May you all find delight in language and the sharing thereof.