Is anyone else doing "badly"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually enjoying NaNo this year but I'm definitely not an achiever in the word count arena. I think I'm still below 5k.

This doesn't really bother me. I knew going in that I'm a slow writer and that word count goals don't really motivate me. November also hasn't been a great month for me this year. It's been a tough couple weeks for me.

I decided to do NaNo because it seemed like a fun way to interact with other writers, start working on an idea I've had in my head for a while, and get back into the routine if writing after starting a new job in July. Though I haven't been great at writing every day, I am getting back into a routine. So I'm not really upset by my lack of words. But I do feel a little left out. Everyone else who seems to be actively participating seems to be doing so well!

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
Screw the word count goal. It's not important. What's important is pushing yourself to achieve whatever goal it was that you set out to reach and have fun doing it. If you are having fun, which you say you are, that is all that matters. Keep moving forward. Reach your personal goals. Who cares what anyone else does as along as you enjoy yourself?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'm only at about 13K, but I'm not pushing myself. I'm still in love with the story, and that's more important than word count.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread in the Ate My Soul forum for forumgoers that are writing at their own pace - you might find that a nice read as well. :)

CheesecakeMe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at about 14k. While I'd love to hit 50K I probably won't, but I'm doing pretty fabulous for me, I've doubled my daily word count from what I averaged before.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I really push myself to fast draft for Nano, but it's not for everyone. It's fun for me, though I'm not super competitive with others. It motivates me a lot to see that graph on the nano site and "keep up." But I think the most important thing about it is to create the habit, which it sounds like you are doing! And to keep going. I have an IRL friend who quit after a week BC he was behind. I don't think WC has ever really been the point, and it's a shame when ppl don't see that.

Keep writing! ❤❤❤

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
For me, the thing is that I know from experience that if I rush a draft, I'm not going to be happy with the story. And I don't think I fully realized before starting how "experimental" this novel was going to be for me in terms of writing in a different style than I'm used to. It's fun, but I really think I need to take my time with it.

JeniferTidwell

Birdie wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
As long as "badly" stays in quotes, sure! My word count is only up to... (goes to check)... 13K, but it's still faster than I would have done otherwise. And it feels like I've written myself into a corner with this plot -- it's too boring! I need to do some very deep rewriting of the whole darn thing to improve it. But I think the version I did write had to come out before I realized its flaws. Now I feel comfortable with rewriting most of what I've done this month -- and that's okay.

CSPayne

Oh look, here I am
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the area of 9k but I decided to do this like 2 days before it started and with traveling and holidays, etc. this month my writing goals have been neglected. But, I did manage to read 2 novels and a compilation of shorts while on my road trip ;) Now that I'm back in the normal routine my writing is going to take a front seat and hopefully I'm not too far behind to still win by the end of the month!

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
I'm at 2,330. I'm definitely not going to make it, but I realized that soon after I started. I just want to write MORE than I usually do.

When I won last year, the resulting novel was crap. This year, I'm simply continuing on a novel that I'd already been working on, and my goal is to keep chipping away at my 100,000-word goal. :)

Kevans

Fish from another stream
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I normally write as co-authors. NaNo gives us the chance to get the core of two novels on "paper". It takes the rest of the year, sometimes longer to get the story fleshed out and edited.

All NaNo does is get the first draft recorded, very few of my friends can do a fished draft in one pass. For me, the edit is the hardest part, motivation slips when I know where the story arc goes. Grin.

Kevin
(Gunns on the NaNo site)

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to battle onwards, ever onwards, at 17k as of a few minutes ago. Part of me thinks 'I can't do this!' while part of me thinks 'I can get this back. I can DO this.' I am trying to listen to the latter voice, because at least that way I keep writing, whatever my word count may be on 30 November. :)

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
I'm somewhere around 20K, which I guess is okay compared to others on here. Trouble is, I was recently kicked out of my house. I'm sleeping on my sister's couch until I can get two jobs and save up for a place of my own.

Yeah, might not make it, but it's also a matter of lack of motivation, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.