Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
It bothers me when men demean my sexuality.

That's what I personally feel some writers and readers, though the second more than the first, are doing. When you act like someone's being gay or bi or lesbian is just for your pleasure like I've seen what feels like way too many in the M/M community do, then you are demeaning them. I look at it this way, I go to a bar and two women approach me. Both are attractive to me and they're interesting to boot. One just treats me like a normal person, maybe we even talk issues of race in the LGBT community if we feel like it as unlikely as that is. The other however can't stop talking about how pretty and exotic I look and how she just love the look of mulatto women. Even though she probably doesn't mean to be the behavior can come across fetishistic, particularly if we by some miracle have the same hypothetical convo as with the other woman and she starts spouting colorblind rhetoric and refuses to see my side of things because she likes Black women and therefor isn't racist.That is what I see in a very vocal minority that we as readers and writers in the genre let slide because it "a fantasy" or "just part of the genre." To me it is never ok to let your attraction to something or someone make whoever you're attracted to feel like a piece of meat that exists for your pleasure.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not easily offended :Shrug:

This has been a topic in the m/m community ever since I can remember. I stick to the authors I think do a good job and the rest I do not buy.

What bothers me more is when certain authors get on with this authenticity crap. What exactly is authentic? Should an author write only what they know? That very idea is silly. Do horror, fantasy, science fiction writers only write what they know? Of course not.

A long time ago I read a novella about a MTF transsexual. The author made her into a total needy skeeze bag with low self-esteem who wasn't happy until she had a man controlling her life. All of that characters self value was locked up in having a man. So yeah, I am not happy with that type of man needing character in any romance hetero or otherwise.

A little research would have made the story much better and a stronger character, but saying that, I have met other trans women who do place a lot of self value in having a man in their lives. So... And I know I am getting off track, there are all types of people in this world. I stopped buying that author :)

My experience as a gay male up to the age of thirty and after that as a MTF TS are my own. Nobody else will have that experience. Others have other experiences.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Do horror, fantasy, science fiction writers only write what they know? Of course not.

It's always kind of funny to me when people say this.

Because I'm a speculative fiction writer, and I would say "yes, I only write what I know".

Lol. :tongue

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
@Kate: I suspect we don't disagree all that much. Thanks for sharing your POV. I get what you're saying.

Same to you, @Lillith.

It's important to listen to each other's point of view. But at the end of the day, each individual has to make their own decisions based on what they've heard. I know we talked about that during the Josh Lanyon debate.

If a gay guy writes a book and he bashes effeminate men, I'm going to call him on that. If he writes a book and he makes transphobic remarks, I'm going to call him on that. If all of his female characters are two-dimensional bitches, I'm going to call him on that. I don't care if this is supposed to be his sandbox. It isn't his sandbox. It's everybody's sandbox, and the #1 rule of Sandbox Land is "Don't Be a Dick."

There are problems in the m/m community. But ultimately, I don't feel like m/m is a space for gay men. It's a space for everyone involved.

A person's real-life experiences matter. I think we all agree on that. A gay man is going to have experiences that women don't. But in this case, what we're talking about specifically is not just how fictional homosexuality is handled -- we're also talking about how female sexuality is policed. Just as a woman might lack the experiences of a gay man, a gay man is going to lack perspective on sexism. And because of that, I don't feel inclined to give gay men deference in this particular debate. Because they don't have more experience. They just have different experience with different things.

(Every time I read your responses and type up a post, it takes me like an hour. I spend ages thinking it over and perfecting my reply. So I might stop soon. Thanks for chatting, though.)

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
There is a bit of a stigma that LGBTQ romances (not just M/M) are somehow more erotically charged than heterosexual books. When I was querying my YA f/f, I definitely encountered that, as one publisher told me directly that they only published 'sweet YA romances with a low heat level, not lgbtq' ... my book has a low heat level with a sweet HEA, but by the fact that it was two girls made it 'erotic' in that publisher's mind.
OMFG.

I've come across that attitude before as well. I remember seeing one publisher who automatically classifies any m/m romance as having a high heat level.

Another only welcomes m/m and f/f in their erotic romance line. They had the gall to refer to it as "being inclusive."

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree the covers don't do the genre any favors. Not because of the heat necessarily but because how they all seem to blend together even if the stories are different.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's no secret that most(Not all) publishers of m/m like a high level of heat. I was told once to sex up a novella I had subbed. It already had two sex scenes in it, and adding more would have been way too much! I politely refused. They came back saying they would publish it as is, but I declined since the owner/editor was kind of nasty in her emails to me. They shut down a while after.

Sex sells. I suspect that is why many publishers want it and not only publishers of m/m. I personally do like sweet romance or romance that is less erotic. I even read Christian romance at times(Shocker). I have also been know to skim sex scenes.

My biggest pet peeves in m/m are: Characters who cry in every scene and stories where all the women are evil.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
There are problems in the m/m community. But ultimately, I don't feel like m/m is a space for just gay men. It's a space for everyone involved.

Bolded addition is mine. I found the phrasing a bit problematic and you seemed to be implying it wasn't just for them, which I agree with wholeheartedly.

See I can get behind what you're saying, but a lot female writers for better or worse tend to treat even gay men who write this genre too and fully accept them like crap if they even mention what they find problematic about the treatement of gay men as characters. And that isn't ok, no matter how opressed we've been in the past it isn't ok to do that. Not to me at least. Because not only is turn about not fair play, but it makes M/M a lot less inclusive than we as writers and readers want to claim it is. If it isn't meant to be inclusive then the community needs to just admit it. There's no shame in a M/M Romance evolving further subgenres based on audience imo, but there is shame in saying one thing and acting a different way.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Bolded addition is mine. I found the phrasing a bit problematic and you seemed to be implying it wasn't just for them, which I agree with wholeheartedly.
Sorry if I was unclear. What I mean is: m/m belongs to anyone who chooses to be included.

See I can get behind what you're saying, but a lot female writers for better or worse tend to treat even gay men who write this genre too and fully accept them like crap if they even mention what they find problematic about the treatement of gay men as characters. And that isn't ok, no matter how opressed we've been in the past it isn't ok to do that. Not to me at least. Because not only is turn about not fair play, but it makes M/M a lot less inclusive than we as writers and readers want to claim it is. If it isn't meant to be inclusive then the community needs to just admit it. There's no shame in a M/M Romance evolving further subgenres based on audience imo, but there is shame in saying one thing and acting a different way.
Yeah, I agree. I pick where I spend my time very carefully, so I avoid a lot of that. But I recently joined an author loop on yahoo, and recently I've been seeing more of it.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sorry if I was unclear. What I mean is: m/m belongs to anyone who chooses to be included.

No problem. It was pretty obvious to me what you meant, I just thought the word would add further clarity in case someone else didn't quite get what you were saying.

Yeah, I agree. I pick where I spend my time very carefully, so I avoid a lot of that. But I recently joined an author loop on yahoo, and recently I've been seeing more of it.

Yeah, I find it ridiculous. I've come across stuff by women that makes me think, "You're clearly a mysandrist except for that low level M/M kink you're harboring, why the hell would you want to write this genre when you could read it instead?" And I've come across gay/bi men writing the genre that make me think, "You do realise your biggest money maker is women and not other men who love men, right? You do know this, looked at the fact and stuff etc.?" I just wish both sides would grow up and act like the adults we claim to be, treating eachother with respect isn't that hard.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
There's both damn good and bad writers on all sides of the gender fence; in an ideal world it's all that should count. But I've seen enough female readers state they won't touch m/m female writers because they're not a gay male. I've seen a few male readers read a book, love it, then realise the author is female (even where clearly stated) and they've pulled a face. I've seen male authors post pics outside of writing that are there to please the eye, and yes, I've done it as female author. But if I join a m/m BDSM group, I'm not joining it to go talk and look at pictures of Tofu. I want the visual stimulation in with everything else. Do people do it the extreme? In my humbles, not that I've seen in fb groups I've joined.

The guy's post and the reaction on fb does highlight a difference, though: how a gay guy's opinion caught more attention and was argued down more than the likes of Jaid Black's, who made it more explicit she was blaming 90% of female authors as being misogynistic. Maybe its because Black focuses on female authorship with writing, whereas this gay guy's post focuses more on female readers/writers (with a slight hint of men) both within writing/reading and beyond of that. Maybe it simply came down to a gay guy v the owner of a publishing compnay. If it's the latter, it's a sad state of affairs how some can have a voice and others can't.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I agree. I keep thinking and trying to say, though I'm probably bad at getting it across, that gay guys need a voice in M/M too. The idea that a woman can say anything she wants about M/M but a respectfully worded concern by a gay guy in this genre should get imediate calls of "sexist asshole!" by female writers and readers is ridiculous. If the issue is sexist asses will be sexist asses, then why let women who do the same thing get a pass because she's a bitch but all women aren't like that? It doesn't make sense and certainly isn't the behavior of people claiming to be inclusive or allys.

A sexist ass is a sexist ass whether male or female. Period.

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I was actually shocked by at least one of the replies to the original post. Not just made to roll my eyes or think "that's not helpful", but actually shocked. The original post was harsh in tone, so in a way invites replies in the same tone. But there's being harsh and there's being arrogant and entitled.

I haven't stuck my oar into this. Too busy with NaNoWriMo to get involved in kerfuffles. They're always very time consuming and distracting and soon degenerate into "someone is wrong on the internet" levels of pointlessness. When I see opinion pieces like the original one I try to take what I can from it, ask myself if there are things I need to change. There might be, there might not be. But there's always something to think about and check myself about.

Status
Not open for further replies.