The Winner's Thread - NaNo 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody! My official verification count is 50,586. Now to continue at the 1667 daily pace; it's barely even finished, as is my usual wont.

Reaction score
It's so nice to see so many people succeeding. I congratulate everyone! If you haven't finished yet, I think you are still a winner for trying. The story is what is important, not the number of words.

I just crossed the 50000 line. It's not finished yet, but I don't see it growing to more than 60000 by the end of the story. When I revise it might get larger however. I took a lot of short cuts.

I never thought it would be challenging to write 50000 words in a month, but it was more difficult than I expected. The hardest part was finding a story I could tell that I could complete in a month. It needed to be a short novel, which is never easy for me. Also, I went into the novel cold (no planning at all really) and having to do world building for days before I could write much was tricky.

Now I have a lot more tranquility to get it right and 4.5 more days. Best of all, I like the story and I might have never written it without the contest. Cool, eh?

:hooray:

Counting how many characters died in my story to get to 50000 words: 4. None of them were major characters, but I loved them anyhow. It's nice that they were sacrificed for a good purpose. I still have 1 more to kill but going to rest for a few hours and get back to it. Oh, the book isn't about killing. It just happens wherever I go.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Passed 50K today with a description of my villain's history.

I'm sad that I won't have the rush of finishing a novel this time around, since I abandoned the serial and am spending the end of NaNo on revision of an old NaNo novel.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot to post, but I hit 50k around the 20th. Fast drafting is something I do regularly, so the daily WC isn't a struggle for me. But Nano def gave me the discipline of sitting down to write every day, which is NOT something I do regularly.

I'm still trying to complete the entire draft this month. I have about 4 big scenes and a few transition scenes left. Not sure I will complete it, but grateful for the momentum Nano gave me!

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
I lost like 600 words after compiling from Scrivener, but I squeaked by tonight with 50,324 words. I ended up writing like eight short stories instead of a novel, ho well!

Now, off to sleep like a rock!

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Oops I posted my win to the count thread not this one. But I did it! I'm amazed, frankly.

Well done to everyone else who did it, and those who have won by their own metric, whatever that may be.

J.S.Fairey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm done! 52,300 words today, and the plot has been wrapped up nicely! No idea if I'll end up doing anything with this novel, and if I do I'll probably have to expand it. But it's done! Another novel completed, and in a single month, which is 20% of the speed of the quickest I'd ever written before.

NaNo has been such a positive experience for me. After spending almost a year on editing, I'd kind of fallen out of love slightly with my writing, and writing novels specifically. This reminded me I could do it, and not only that, but that I loved it. The creative juices are well and truly flowing again!

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
This reminded me I could do it, and not only that, but that I loved it. The creative juices are well and truly flowing again!

Yay!! :hooray: Good for you! I finished a few days ago and I'm still trying to wrap things up story-wise. I wrote the month before too, so my word count is really out of hand. I envy your precision--I think I'm going to need a lot of editing to scale back to size. Also yay for creative juices and loving writing again!! :snoopy:

Winterwind

Just hanging out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fromunderthedarkcloud.blogspot.com
This was my second attempt and first time with the shiny purple bar!! I am frankly amazed that I was able to pull this off, not only the word count, but I completed the story.
Congrats to everyone who won. It's a great experience.
I hope I can keep the momentum going.

Travis Kerr

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the book at a little over 53k on thanksgiving, though I didn't have more internet access until today. Even had time to finish the second draft before I submitted it. The only downside was I hadn't been able to finish the cover art on time. Unfortunately there was no way for me to anticipate a wardrobe malfunction (nothing naughty, but just as devastating to the picture) that ended the possibility of taking the pics. No worries, I will still have the cover art finished before I get it published, just not in time for wrimo.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I finished, but I'm so not even close to finishing the story. This is going to be a long story....

SKDaley

Registered
Reaction score
I won yesterday at 50,120 or something, but today I almost reached the end of the novel I started last Nano! My final word count for Nanowrimo 2015 is 57,222. Better yet, I just wrote the climatic last battle. Now on to the denouement! All in all, my first draft will be around 120,000 words. Essentially, I wrote it in two months (plus a week or two, let's say.) Good god, why don't I do that every two months??? If I learned anything this month, it's that writing requires your butt in the chair!

Congrats to everyone who's done this, who continues to do this. Don't let it stop with the end of November!

Evabeth

Registered
Reaction score
I lost like 600 words after compiling from Scrivener, but I squeaked by tonight with 50,324 words. I ended up writing like eight short stories instead of a novel, ho well!
:Clap:

I did it! I'm amazed, frankly.

It took me 3000 words today, but I've got myself a shiny purple bar!

I knew you could do it! Congratulations. :Thumbs:

I'm done! 52,300 words today, and the plot has been wrapped up nicely!
I finished a few days ago

This was my second attempt and first time with the shiny purple bar!!

I finished, but I'm so not even close to finishing the story.

Congratulations on completing the challenge. I hope you have fun writing for December and beyond. :Clap:

You all have done an amazing job this November. Thank you for representing AW well and believing enough in yourself to accept the challenge.
:hooray::snoopy::roll::partyguy::Thumbs::Jump::Trophy::PartySmil:TheWave::e2photo::e2sven::e2cheer::e2bouncey:e2bear::e2crown::e2drunk::e2dance::e2grouphu:e2arms::e2coffee::e2headban:yessmiley:fistpump:applause::greenie:Hug2:;):D:e2woo:

Status
Not open for further replies.