Riots on Christmas Island

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
No thread on this yet but it looks like the guards at the asylum detention centre on Christmas Island set up by the Australian government there have abandoned their posts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/christmas-island-asylum-seekers-1.3310233

Australian opposition politicians on Monday demanded that the government disclose the extent of destruction caused by ongoing riots at a controversial immigration detention centre following the death of an asylum seeker.

Fences at the facility on the remote Australian outpost of Christmas Island were torn down and fires were lit, forcing guards to abandon the facility and allowing access to vulnerable inmates by other detainees, according to reports.

Christmas Island segregates detainees seeking political asylum, many of whom have fled from war-torn regions in the Middle East and Asia, from foreigners facing deportation for a variety of crimes.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's Christmas Island, not Easter Island. Two different places.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, heard the story as I was waking up and never actually checked whether I had got the name right.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The situation needs attention. Thanks for posting the thread. I was just a bit stunned to think there was a detention for asylum seekers on Easter Island! Thanks for fixing that.