Still Trying; New Rewrite

Cochinay

Registered
Reaction score
I've decided that my Query Letters are no good in part because my novel is not so good (a mystery set in the rural, present day, west). I'm feeling "sort of" OK, with my attempted rewrite, with more character development this go-around, but my question is this. Because I've heard it's important to get to the action, or to the heart of the story, or to the conflict, or the torment, early on in the novel, is Chapter 2, 1800 words in, OK?

I don't think it drags too much, but I do feel I'm open to a charge that Chapter 1 is rather boring background. I'm trying to find a balance here.

I know the question is vague and without much foundation, but any thoughts?

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember which book it was that I read it in ("The First Fifty Pages," maybe? Either that or "Beginnings, Middles, and Ends"), but the author made a really good point about the first scenes' purpose:

- Introduce us to the main character
- Give us an idea of the story's tone and genre
- Give us an idea of what the conflict/character goals are going to be (for instance, the first chapter of Harry Potter introduces the war against Voldemort, even though it isn't necessarily a scene in which anyone is physically fighting him; the first sentence of Pride and Prejudice tells you that the story's going to be about finding a spouse)

Anyway, that helped me. So, if your first scene or first 1800 words or whatever AREN'T doing those things, then yes, you should definitely re-think them.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You want there to be conflict from the very beginning. But that doesn't always mean action. You need to give the reader a reason to turn to the next page, a question to answer.

You can also post your first chapter in SYW and get feedback. :)

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
That would be too long for me personally. The question is this: if you cut all that word count, could the reader make sense of what is happening without it? Slice and dice if so. Agents and lord knows readers don't have the patience for the best part of 2k before he story properly begins, imo

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I want story, character, and setting in the first five pages. "Story: doesn't always mean things blowing up, it simply means what the novel is about, a strong indication of what conflict the main character is going to face, and why.

Cochinay

Registered
Reaction score
I'll post my latest draft query letter soon. It's time I heard the acrimony.