Man dies of tapeworm cancer (not lunch safe)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
No, not cancer caused by tapeworms. An HIV positive man presented with lung, liver and lymph node masses, that on biopsy looked ... suspiciously not human. After intensive analysis they figured out that they were malignant dwarf tapeworm cells, that had invaded his body and acted just like a human cancer. We didn't even know tapeworms got cancer before now.

Original NEJM article

Less technical NPR article

This is so disgusting, and tragic (article said he was nonadherent with HIV treatment, which probably means he couldn't afford it), and awesome (in the terrifying, majestic sense). Life will find a way.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Tragic story. But, gosh, parasites are fascinating. If I had a dollar for every time I've been asked about Angiostrongylus and Schistosoma*, I'd...er...I'd be able to pay someone to stop people asking me about them.

*Neither of which are cestodes. But still jolly interesting.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I am so sad that I already gave my bio students their assigned article for their next writing assignment--something on genetic engineering. How boring compared to tapeworm tumors invading their hosts or Sac State students (this is excitingly local, since most of them plan on transferring there) with tapeworm cysts in their brains. Oh well, I can still assign this one next time, or at least discuss it in class on Monday.

I agree. Parasites are revoltingly fascinating. When I was a kid, my dad had this classic invertebrate bio book on the shelves in our study--Animals Without Backbones. I enjoyed looking at his old bio books, this one in particular, and my favorite chapter was the one on ph Platyhelminthes.

Someday I'm going to have a character named "Scolex" in a story.

Last edited:

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a painful way to die. :(

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting that they hypothesise that the tapeworm neoplasm was able to invade not only because of the man's underlying immunodeficiency, but because tapeworms have evolved to knock our defenses down and tapeworm stem cells probably have innate abilities to invade us and act as human cancers, given the chance. Tassie devil facial cancer, although it is one of the few known transmissible cancers, would be much less likely to cross over to humans, because they didn't co-evolve with us. Damn, there goes the horror story idea that was brewing in my head.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except he didn't find out. He died before the CDC report came back.

I'm wondering if the hospital was treating him for the tapeworms and HIV. The article is unclear on what treatments he was actually receiving while waiting for the CDC report.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a House episode.

Anyone else remember House? That was a goofy show.

Also: AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHGHGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing show. House could have figured out the diagnosis.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A college friend of mine was a medical technologist at a hospital for many years. She said they had a patient one time with a tape worm. When they got it out, I think she said it weighed 20 pounds. Since the patient was over 250, I guess that's possible. Ugh!

MM