Do excised words count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdilydone

Banned
Reaction score
So I'm writing for Nano, but I had to cut some of my paragraphs out because I knew they weren't usable. So my question is, do these words count as part of the 50,000 or not?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
For NaNo (unless you're doing a weird thing like me), you should just highlight those words and keep them until the first draft is over. At the end of the month, to validate your word count, you'll have to copy and paste your work into their validator, so those words won't be counted unless you still have them available.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Definitely count them. They're all part of writing the story, even if they won't be in the final version. (And it's too soon to decide if there's nothing salvageable in them.) Highlight them. or use strikethrough, or whatever to mark them and keep going.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
You can definitely count them if you keep them and like Sage said just mark them as unsavory. Anything to help that word count! Personally, I don't, because if I didn't like it enough to keep it in the first draft, it's probably best I forget they ever existed. That said, I'm usually only doing that for lines here and there. I save the real editing for later.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In his book No Plot? No Problem!, NaNo founder Chris Baty suggests highlighting unwanted words and changing the font color to white. They're still there and qualify for word count, but they're rendered invisible, easily found when you start editing. *Anything I don't want to use, from entire faulty passages that make no sense to incorrect word use, I push down to the bottom of the chapter file and flag between asterisks.* If it's on the page, it's fair game to be counted (typos don't count, though).

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I push the sections that I plan on cutting to the bottom of my WIP. That way my draft is cleaner but I still keep track of the words I've written.

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I will usually use strike through to handle deal with words or sections I hate with the force of a thousand suns I don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.