Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I had a pretty intense start to 2015. I had 4 new novel or novella releases out by the middle of July.Which meant lots of editing and publisher deadlines. Which honestly left me feeling a bit burned out and twitchy. :Wha: I spent most of the summer and early autumn drafting and editing and the drafting especially was hard. I stopped doing the early morning session I'd been doing for a while, because it wasn't working well for me any more. Evenings I'd sometimes struggle to get even a thousand words. The old days of 10k weekends seemed long gone.

Then NaNoWriMo starts and BAM! Around 2000 words every day so far, even in an evening session on a work day. Even a session like yesterday when I shilly-shallied around a bit, so started late. Last month in that situation I'd have either not started at all, or got a few hundred words and then gone to bed. Last night I just cracked on until I'd got 1800 words and it was well past my bedtime. :greenie

Oh and did I mention I'm not allowed any caffeine right now, on doctor's orders?

Every year it works this way for me. November 1 comes along. I snort like a war horse at the sound of the bugle, get the red mist in my eyes and nothing can stand in my way! I must win! I must collect all the achievement badges! :rolleyes

Only the November event has this effect on me. Camp NaNoWriMo events don't induce the same determination. I've even failed one of those! Me!

NaNoWriMo really gives me back my edge, reminds me what I can do when I stop faffing about and get on with it, and focuses my mind on writing again. It's great.

Anyone else find there's a NaNoWriMo effect - for good or ill?

Last edited:

CSPayne

Oh look, here I am
Registered
Reaction score
This is my first year and I do find it very motivating. It's a personal goal to win so it is my time to prove something to myself not to some publisher. I'm off to a slow start but writing something everyday towards a tangible goal is very exciting! I'm trying for all the badges too, lol.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
NaNo gets me going. I can't say the same for camp because I've attempted it three times and failed each time. However when November rolls around I'm on my game. I write like crazy and it works. I push myself harder and I hit my goals. I think it's something about the community. I feel like their are eyes on me so I have to succeed.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The only time I succeeded at Camp NaNo was when I did the 3-day novel at the beginning of the month. NaNo is a different experience. There's something about knowing that everyone who does NaNo is with you, not just some NaNoers. My spring novels tend to hit before Camp NaNo starts, so I'm usually done or too far in progress to really care about Camp NaNo by the time it rolls around anyway.

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone-

This is my third Nano--I did it in 2013 and 2014 and won both times. I totally get Nano mode. I'm great at editing and revising throughout the year, but as far as actually writing the initial draft, it's a little difficult for me when there's just a "I should be writing" over my head. I need a firm deadline. There's just something about Nano that gets me into gear and helps me focus. It's like my brain keeps screaming "OMG IT'S NANO MONTH ARE YOU WRITING FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE YOU HAVE TO WRITE MORE THAN 1,666 WORDS A DAY PUT YOUR BUTT IN THE CHAIR NOW AND CLOSE YOUR BROWSER!!" all the time. It also gives me a great excuse to the world. No, I can't help you with that--it's Nano. No, dear child, I won't take you to the store multiple times this weekend--it's Nano.

On another note, my teenage son likes Nano because I bribe him to do the housework. :)

aprettytruestory

eating my words
Registered
Reaction score
The first few days are the worst for me, but if I can make it past day 3 or so ideas really start to pour out. I'm a huge pantser so I never know what I'm going to write until 2 days before (sometimes not even then). My "outlines" are literally sticky notes with ideas written on them: ghost story? guy whose wife leaves him? world ending? I think NaNo is a lot like exercise - horrible the first few days and you want to give up, then you get into the groove and by the time you're done you (or your story) are all muscly and beautiful (that might just be my weird metaphor, though).

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
The first few days are the worst for me, but if I can make it past day 3 or so ideas really start to pour out. I'm a huge pantser so I never know what I'm going to write until 2 days before (sometimes not even then). My "outlines" are literally sticky notes with ideas written on them: ghost story? guy whose wife leaves him? world ending? I think NaNo is a lot like exercise - horrible the first few days and you want to give up, then you get into the groove and by the time you're done you (or your story) are all muscly and beautiful (that might just be my weird metaphor, though).

I'm kind of the same way about the first few days--it's like I need that time to scrape off the rust and oil the machines before they start churning properly.

And your sticky notes reminds me of the time--several years ago--when I got the bright idea to tape a huge piece of butcher paper in the hallway and use it to plot a book. I then had plot points and things on like a gajillion stickies and moved them around on the paper as I went. But THEN two of the cats saw them flapping as we walked down the hall and discovered it was fun to jump up and catch them. I came home one day and they were all over the house. Sigh.

Lena Hillbrand

Registered
Reaction score
I write all year, but I definitely feel pressure to get a lot done during Nano. Last year was my first year, and I added over 50K to something I'd already started. This year I checked the forums for the first time (really just once to bitch about Windows 10), but that little graph is mysteriously motivating, even though I don't really participate in the community aspect.

Also, I'm a die-hard pantser, but last year, I used an outline somewhat successfully for the first time ever. So I'm trying an outline again this year. When I want to write a lot, maybe it helps to know which damn direction I'm galloping in!

Good luck, wrimers! Onwards!

aprettytruestory

eating my words
Registered
Reaction score
And your sticky notes reminds me of the time--several years ago--when I got the bright idea to tape a huge piece of butcher paper in the hallway and use it to plot a book. I then had plot points and things on like a gajillion stickies and moved them around on the paper as I went. But THEN two of the cats saw them flapping as we walked down the hall and discovered it was fun to jump up and catch them. I came home one day and they were all over the house. Sigh.

What an interesting idea (though it is tragic that your cats destroyed it)! I try to carry a little notepad around with me (but invariably lose it because I'm that type of person); I love the idea of a giant scribble wall I could just run by and write ideas on (and how could I lose it, because it's a giant piece of paper on my wall?) I just may have to steal that idea from you :) (Fortunately we only have small dogs who can jump about knee high, so as long as I keep it 12" away from the floor it should be ok!)

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com

Probably shouldn't laugh.
Totally did. :ROFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.