Daily Goal--Really Works (For Me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Rubino

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dianarubino.com
What I've been doing for many years is setting a 2,500-word daily goal (about 10 pages). This isn't too taxing, and doesn't exhaust me. The only exception I made was when an agent requested my unfinished vampire romance, and I churned out 5,000 words a day to get that finished. I had to push myself, but I got it out.
I don't stop writing till that 2,500 words is out, no matter what time it is. This is all first draft stuff; I don't edit along the way. Diana
www.dianarubino.com

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
I write this way too! I have an outline so it's really just sitting down and doing the writing. I did my last couple of books at 5k a day (5 days a week) and had the first drafts done under a month each. I fell into this way of writing. I used to wing it, no outline, no word-count-a-day set up, but when I was writing the first book of a series I had all these ideas for the other books and started writing them down on a separate doc. By the time I was done with book 1, I pretty much had an outline for book 2 ready to go.

I'd definitely suggest giving this a try for anyone looking for a new writing process. Daily goals also make you feel like you're getting somewhere (because you are) every day.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
It's very doable if you're working from an outline, although word count will vary. I've just been trying to do 500 a day and excluding my October of sickness I've been averaging around 1k words a day. It's definitely a faster way to write than pantsing it but I've got to admit to feeling a little constrained by my outline and not being able to throw in a vengeful ghost or surprise evil twin for fear of wasting the hard work I did to outline in the first place.

2,500 words a day is pretty awesome. I wish I had the energy to do that consistently.

layzerphish

Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend a bit more than 500 a day. It takes time to get into a flow state where you become productive in whatever you are doing. That is why I don't like taking breaks at work when I am on a roll, because when you try and get back into it, the flow is gone and you have to start from square one again.

TRezvani

Registered
Reaction score
This is more or less how I write, too...once I have an outline. In the beginning, I write free form, in random bits and pieces and scenes, but once I have a clear idea of how the book is structured and where it's going, I like to aim for ten pages a day. I think the important thing is just having a concrete goal and working hard each day to meet it, even if you don't always get there.

Anberlin

Registered
Reaction score
I have tried to set a goal of 2,000 words a day for my rewrite, but it has been so difficult to get even close! Some days I will sit at my computer for hours and finish with barely 300 words! I feel like it will never get finished!

Way to go on following through! Maybe this will give me the motivation to get at it myself.

Glass Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
I have been trying to do this lately and have been pretty successful for the most part. The only time I get into trouble is when my husband is home and is constantly talking to me when I am trying to write! In those cases I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to get some writing done.

Status
Not open for further replies.