• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Packager] The Manuscript Buyer

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Here's their site.

They claim to offer somewhere between 200 to 2000 dollars for your all of the rights to your manuscript. They back up their claims with one picture of a young woman with shock white hair and a much older woman with a picture of shock white hair, with quotes that these people allegedly made money by selling their already poorly selling ebooks.

They followed me on Twitter and their entire feed is nothing but announcements that carefully work in the number "2,000" into their 140 characters. I'm suspicious of this for two reasons.

1: The copyright for the site says 2014, but where is the catalog of manuscripts they've purchased? What do they do with the manuscript when you no longer have creative control over it?

2: Call me crazy, but anytime a number ends in zero, I get suspicious.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
A few things:

WHAT WE'RE NOT

We don't sell services.

So not a vanity press.

WHAT WE DO IS SIMPLE

We at DCP want to purchase your book. We'll pay you a lump sum of cash, usually between $200-$2000 per manuscript in exchange for ALL rights, in all forms, all around the world.

Probably indefinitely. So you get a one-time payment to sell them your MS forever.

I can already tell you this:

- They're aiming for the get cash now! type of scheme.

- They require you to have already published your book on Amazon. If they weren't going to scam you, this gives them proof of how much they should pay for your book.

- The price range shown is pitiful for a decent book, and good chance A) They won't buy any shitty book B) Won't pay $2000 for anything, since they are already picking at the authors who are depressed enough from their sales to sell all right to their book, and C) Probably won't pay you upon receiving the MS, either just cutting ties or through a loop-hole in contract (because idiots that would fall for this won't read it).

- By just looking at the stock-photos of the sight, the lack of editing, and cheap construction of it and the covers shown (non that they purchased) this is a scam.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
$2,000 is a small advance from a mid to large sized publisher. And then you retain rights, have a chance at getting more money in royalties, foreign rights, movie rights, etc.
Even if this is 100% legit, and it looks very much like a scam, it is a terrible deal for any author.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
How bizarre! From their Twitter:

What do you do with the mss you buy? I searched your site for that info.
Manuscript Buyer
Manuscript Buyer – ‏@ManuscriptBuyer

Usually we treat them like ghostwritten MSs, have them professionally edited, proofread, and give the story another chance.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ManuscriptBuyer/status/656591351849484288

Up until about a month ago Msbuyer was contacting authors directly:

Mike Wells said...
Stumbled upon your books on Amazon, and thought that we might be able to help you. To see what we offer, take a look at www.msbuyer.com

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2015 AT 1:22:00 PM PDT

http://themanwhonevermissed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/eye-candy.html

A whois search reveals that the anonymous registrant of Msbuyer's site gave their address as 12808, Gran Bay Parkway West, Jacksonville, Florida. Which brings us to this odd little website:

THE ART OF PUBLISHING
Established in 1999, Unknown company is a leading independent book and manuscript publisher. Partnering with seasoned authors and talented writers, our company is responsible for bringing numerous fiction and nonfiction titles, short stories, and articles to light.

PEN TO PAPER
The editors and publishing professionals on our team take a lot of pride in assisting authors. Our focus is on assisting writers navigate the publishing world, making sure authors and their works are noticed. As a writer, your focus in on the story, our focus is on getting it to market and on shelves.
http://mike-node1-better-020215.com/

Unknown Company's contact details?

12808 Gran Bay Pkwy West
jacksonville, FL, 32258

There's also an email address for 'mmoore'.

It turns out that the Jacksonville address is that of online marketing group Web.com Group Inc. At this point things get REALLY weird, because Googling the above number and address turns up a group of non-existent businesses (including printers and publishers) and a couple of authors - Heather Marie Lewis and the anonymous author of The Taking of David. I can find no trace of their books.

Another thing - on Msbuyer's website the company, which according to Twitter is based in Lansing, Michigan, is referred to as DCP. What does DCP stand for? The only DCP I could find with any link to Lansing is this one, Michigan-based Durand Capital Partners:

When Durand Capital Partners was launched I gave much thought to the name. I chose “Durand” because it symbolized the beginning of my “American Dream”. Durand Street is a well-known street in East Lansing Michigan where I attended college at Michigan State University.
http://www.durandcapital.com/index.html

It's a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

Slightly OT, but an author who has expressed an interest in selling her book to Msbuyer is one of the handful of people to have posted on ParaDon Books' FaceBook.

Last edited:

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
*Takes off his deerstalker and offers it to Alice*

You are more worthy of this cap than I. Well done. :)

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

*curtseys*

I've contacted Msbuyer via Twitter to ask what DCP stands for - no reply so far.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised, really. I only hope no one gets dollar bill signs in their eyes when they see the tweet.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also like to know more about the 'Mike Wells' who posted about Msbuyer on someone's blog.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I got a reply, of sorts:

'DCP is our parent company.'

Not exactly helpful...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see the value in it for most writers. It's rarely a good idea to sign away all rights to your work like this. Especially for what is probably a very small amount of money, relative to the hours it takes to produce a manuscript.

I wonder what they're buying the books for. They have to be hoping to make money out of them somehow, otherwise there wouldn't be any point buying them. Are they going to tighten them up and then put them out under their own imprint? Might they be selling them on to other writers who want works ghostwritten for them? Does anyone know?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
They've already answered this:

Usually we treat them like ghostwritten MSs, have them professionally edited, proofread, and give the story another chance.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Manuscrip...91351849484288

I wouldn't touch this outfit with a bargepole. They've hidden the name of their website's registrant, won't give any details about parent company DCP and the only name associated with them is that of Mike Wells, who could be anybody (or nobody). Plus, of course, there's no evidence that they've actually bought any books.

Were it not for the fact that they have a Twitter account to which real people have responded I'd be inclined to think that the Msbuyer website is just a template, like other sites bearing the same number and address.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Tw is a 'bot, and no activity on FB since January. Anyone have recent contact with them?

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
This is just bizarre - did anyone ever find out what they're doing with the MSS they buy? Surely they're not making any money by just giving them a brush-up and throwing them out there again?