Sexual violence in thriller novels

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a horror novelist writing my first thriller. It's about a father whose son is assaulted, and dies shortly thereafter. The story follows the father, who works with police to locate the perp. He has a private battle with his conscience when he figures out who the perp is before the cops do, and considers killing him.

My novel concerns a very sensitive subject, and that is, child abuse. I have taken great care to not have any sort of description of the violence; only that it happened, as reported in an autopsy. But the perp is involved in a criminal ring that does this sort of thing, and eventually, the protagonist will have a conversation with some of the offenders while they are in prison.

There will be no descriptions whatsoever regarding their crimes, but the mere fact that these characters exist in my story is of some concern to me. While many thrillers/whodunnits deal with murderers and rapists, I can't think of any off the top of my head that involve dangerous pedophiles. Is this a no-fly zone? Is it too taboo to even write a story?

And lastly, what are the do's and do not's of this subject? I am careful not to cast the perps in any positive light whatsoever, careful not to draw any kind of moral ambiguity in what they do. I recall David Bell's novel Cemetery Girl being heavily criticized because the author did not give virtually any attention to his character's wellbeing and recovery after she survived an assault. Instead, the entire novel is focused on revenge. I don't think this applies to my book because my character (who is assaulted) does not survive, and therefore the father's prime motivation to move on is through either bringing justice to the perps or enacting his own personal revenge. In the end, he realizes that he is focusing too much on the perps and not enough on commemorating his son's life, remembering the lessons he learned from his son, etc.

Does this sound passable or am I going to step in deep shit for writing this topic?

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
My personal take is that it's a subject that has to be written about. By ignoring it, it won't make it go away.

I'm currently struggling with something similar. My story revolves around human trafficking, and in particular child sex trafficking. Also a detective/thriller. My particular conundrum is "how graphic", not IF I should write about it. I'm also careful to deal with the subject with sensitivity - not easy when you feel strongly about it!

So, I think take the comments from similar books and work around that. Maybe focus on the father's healing in place of his son's?

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
There is a book called The Shack about a man who's little girl is abducted and never found. The only thing known is that the person who did it is a serial killer. It doesn't imply one way or the other what is done to the girl before she is killed (only her bloody dress is found). The book is focused on the father's relationship with God after the fact how a person is supposed to believe in a loving God when something like this happens. It's an amazing book and came under fire for it's portrayal of the Trinity rather than it's dark subject matter.

I don't think you will have a problem at all for how you are planning to deal with the sensitive content. I think the world can only benefit from respectful stories about real issues like you and Milenio are writing. These issues affect WAY more people than most realize and having these things talked about in an honest but sensitive way will create a desire for change.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Um...this kind of topic about crimes against children has been done before plenty of times, if my TV viewing is anything to go by (ex: CSI and basically almost any crime series, etc.)

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
These issues affect WAY more people than most realize and having these things talked about in an honest but sensitive way will create a desire for change.

Absolutely! When I started my research into the subject, I was horrified at the lack of information. There aren't definite figures (how can there be?) and a lot of guess work in terms of destinations and what happens to people once they're "in the system". From a human being point of view, it's shocking to see this lack of information, but from a story-writing point of view, one can do almost anything (almost like fantasy/sci-fi).

I still can't tell you why I chose the subject, though :Shrug:

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
I think genre plays a part here as well... we are talking a thriller. I expect some degree of violence in a crime-based thriller.

The line to walk is between gratuitous violence, or violence for the sake of titillation, and violence that is a key element to character or story development. That line, however, is in the eye of the beholder.

Going back several years, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo caught both criticism and praise for the way the story depicted graphic violence. There will always be someone who hates the way the violence was handled, and someone who loves it. For me, the litmus test is "does this scene further the story" and "could this scene exist without the violence" (or sex, or whatever other form of "objectionable" content you're talking about.)

I've always had a problem with those who criticize a character's response to trauma. In part because everyone's response to trauma is different. I had one beta reader tell me that "A female would not respond this way. Your character is too in control, she should be crying and falling apart, not working out a way to escape." In a different story, I was told that "no woman would respond like this to a sexual assault" (funny - since that particular bit was actually a true story of the experience of one of my friends, and her response to the scene was, "Yes, that. Exactly that.")

Saying a story focused on revenge, instead of the recovery of the character is like saying, "I didn't like this horror novel because it focused on scary things instead of on the therapy the person would need after they all happened." The reader wanted a different type of story than what the writer chose to tell.

It's a story. It's your story. What story do you want to tell? What facet of the story, or character, do you want to emphasize?

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
Um...this kind of topic about crimes against children has been done before plenty of times, if my TV viewing is anything to go by (ex: CSI and basically almost any crime series, etc.)

And if you're still not convinced, then all you have to do is look at the news headlines. When I think I'm getting "too much", then I open my news feed and realise that there is nothing my imagination can dream up that can ever be worse than reality.

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
... It's a story. It's your story. What story do you want to tell? What facet of the story, or character, do you want to emphasize?

:Hail: Sage advice, thank you!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I guess my take would be to ask why.

Why
is it child abuse, or rape, or any of the myriad other nasty things humans are capable of? Is it because you as the writer are looking for something shocking, something lurid? Or is it because you want to shine a light on the subject?

I think from the tenor of your OP then it's the latter. In which case, you don't need to worry.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
You might check out how mystery-crime giant Michael Connelly handled this topic in The Poet. (And in City of Bones, though that was a cold case involving past physical abuse, such as beatings.)

Good luck,
Peter DiChellis

Fantomas

Registered
Reaction score
Just to chime in here, I feel that readers of crime fiction are well-prepared for seeing the worst in human nature. This wouldn't be so jarring in a crime novel as it would be in a romance or more lighthearted piece. Regarding the other point, yeah, be careful not to do what David Bell did and just have the victim as a plot device. All too often, the victim has no character and is just there to propel the protagonist forward.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing at all wrong with your approach. I wouldn't want to read graphic descriptions of such crimes in progress, but your take on it is not only fine, it's been done many times, and to great acclaim.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I guess my take would be to ask why.

Why
is it child abuse, or rape, or any of the myriad other nasty things humans are capable of? Is it because you as the writer are looking for something shocking, something lurid? Or is it because you want to shine a light on the subject?

I think from the tenor of your OP then it's the latter. In which case, you don't need to worry.

What difference does the why make? The writer's motives are private, and not always what the writer claims, even if he makes them public. No write is ever going to say his motive was anything but pure. Motive has nothing to do with the book. The story reads as it reads, accomplished what it accomplishes, regardless of why the writer wrote it.

Galumph_Triumph

Registered
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's comments here; this feedback is a lot more positive than I thought I'd get.
I really do want to write a gritty, edge-of-your-seat thriller, about every parent's worst fear. But, I want it to be human, realistic, and multilayered. I think I can accomplish this, and the principal focus of the story will be dualistic: the protagonist's clandestine conflict with the antagonist, and the protagonist's inner conflict between his desire to be a good person and his desire to enact revenge. Ultimately, he will consider his son's life carefully, and will use the lessons he learned from fatherhood to make a decision. I'm really excited to explore this inner conflict.

Thanks a million everyone. I will let you know when it's finished. I really appreciate all the advice, especially Karina's.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Just to chime in here, I feel that readers of crime fiction are well-prepared for seeing the worst in human nature. This wouldn't be so jarring in a crime novel as it would be in a romance or more lighthearted piece.

Yes, thrillers tend to go to dark places - that's what their readers look for. So, as a writer, I'd be more concerned with *how* I handled the dark material, rather than the fact that they're in my story. If at the end of the day you can honestly say you weren't exploitive or gratuitous, that should come through in your story.

MurderOfCrows

Registered
Reaction score
FYI, if you're going to deal with child crime, let me point you to The Zero -- www.vachss.com

Andrew Vachss is a lawyer who deals entirely with youth and child crime; he does not represent adults (not even parents.) He has worked with children and is an advocate for children. He also writes crime novels specifically about the top of child crime, crime that involves abuse, including dealing with pedophiles in a variety of ways. He uses these books to both reveal just how child crime affects society, as well as to enable him to take more pro-bono cases for children in need.

He's got a lot of amazing work to read and has a lot of content that comes from a place of authority on child crime, so if you want to look at someone handling those topics and handling them well, he's a great place to start.