poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
In policy shift, Obama to send U.S. special forces to Syria

The United States will deploy dozens of special operations troops to northern Syria from next month to advise opposition forces in their fight against Islamic State, a major policy shift for President Barack Obama and a step he has long resisted to avoid getting dragged into another war in the Middle East.

The planned deployment, along with the U.S. decision this week to include Iran in diplomatic efforts to end the conflict, represents the biggest change in the United States' Syria policy since it began a bombing campaign against Islamic State targets there in September 2014.

Announcing the measure on Friday, the White House said the troops would be on a mission to "train, advise and assist" and would number fewer than 50. Spokesman Josh Earnest declined to give details about their exact role.

The decision by Obama, deeply averse to committing troops to unpopular wars in the Middle East, would mark the first sustained U.S. troop presence in Syria and raise the risk of American casualties, although U.S. officials stressed the forces were not meant to engage in front-line combat.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/31/us-mideast-crisis-syria-usa-idUSKCN0SO1VD20151031

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Can't he rent a storage locker or something? I might be underestimating the size of his shoe collection.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
dem candidate roll call

Campaign spokesman Nick Merrill said in a statement that Clinton "sees merit in the targeted use of special operations personnel."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-10-30-19-07-02

The independent senator from Vermont “believes that the crisis in Syria will be solved diplomatically, not militarily,” Sanders spokesman Michael Briggs said in a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-about-obamas-deployment-of-troops-to-syria/

“We have to stay involved, but we also have to be very, very cautious because it’s hard to point to an example where putting American boots on the ground gave us the desired result in the last 15 years,” O’Malley said.

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/lo...cle_5bc93444-fc46-5ba2-9b3f-345b8e89dad2.html

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
"train, advise and assist"

Seems like JFK said something similar once.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Assad kills freely. So I don't see what this meagre tactic will solve.

Seriously, between him and ISIL, the Syrian people are screwed. Looks like they'll become Europeans forever...

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Assad kills freely. So I don't see what this meagre tactic will solve.

Seriously, between him and ISIL, the Syrian people are screwed. Looks like they'll become Europeans forever...

Not likely.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Unpleasant.

Okay, either explain what you mean or kindly stop replying to my posts. Short phrases like that seem like you're being contradictory for the sake of it.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, either explain what you mean or kindly stop replying to my posts. Short phrases like that seem like you're being contradictory for the sake of it.

No, I will not stop replying to your posts. You can ignore me if you choose.

What I mean, however, is that it's unlikely that the entire population of Syrian refugees or would-be refugees can move to Europe and become Europeans.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
well, now i'm disenchanted with the level of detail in your posts. do not reply to any of mine either until you can learn to express yourself to my liking.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
well, now i'm disenchanted with the level of detail in your posts. do not reply to any of mine either until you can learn to express yourself to my liking.

if i stop using
my shift key
and write in free verse
would that satisfy you?
and what do you think
about Syria?
they probably hate poets there too.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i would tell myself that imitation is the greatest form of flattery while secretly knowing it was mere mockery.

that would please me.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Courtesy of USA Today, 16 times Obama said there would be no boots on the ground in syria.

Lie%20Bill%20Murray_zpsxwwfja8u.jpg

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It is going to need boots on the ground. I see no other way that ISIL will be defeated. The Iraqi army are not up to the job. So it is either US/NATO boots or Iranian/Russian.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It is going to need boots on the ground. I see no other way that ISIL will be defeated. The Iraqi army are not up to the job. So it is either US/NATO boots or Iranian/Russian.
Works for me. Russia's getting a bit big in the pants, and the last time they tackled the middle east it collapsed their whole economy. Better them than us.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Works for me. Russia's getting a bit big in the pants, and the last time they tackled the middle east it collapsed their whole economy. Better them than us.

Is that a stockpile of nuclear warheads in your pants or are you just happy to see me.