Can anyone help with basic Scrivener questions? And how to deal with headers in Word?

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm on my trial, and I think I'll like Scrivener. Eventually. I'll be sure to buy through AW.

But first, I have to be able to set margins. I watched the videos, and I tried to do something called page layout view, only to find that it doesn't exist on my menu. Rrrrr.

I need to format this thing so it'll fit on a 5.06 by 7.81 inch page (size I've chosen for CreateSpace).

I can't even find the margins to fiddle with them.

Help, please. :)

ETA: Also, how do I add headers and footers? Page numbers. Argh.

ETA2: Okay, I can do an end-run on all this stuff by fixing my doc in Word first.

But.

When I import my novel, Scrivener decided I needed one inch indents on my paragraphs instead of the typical half inch I had in Word. I can't end-run this. How on earth do I manage graf indents?

ETA3: *sighs* Apparently, I can only do the end-run on headers in Word for the first story. When I try to insert a section break so I can have new headers for the next story, it starts the numbering over, even when I link it to the previous section. This is hair-pulling frustration.

Last edited:

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com
Formatting for paperback novel isn't done as you write. It's one of the options when you click "Compile" > "Paperback Novel" > Page Settings. Page numbers, headers and footers are added automatically.

The only way I can see what my output is, whether it's ebook, manuscript or print is by hitting that Compile button and I'm off.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, okay, except I need very specific headers since it's a collection of short stories. I want each short story title to be in the header on the right-hand pages, with the book title on the left-hand pages.

And the indents are driving me nuts.

Also, how does Scrivener know what size your book is if you can't set margins and page size? My book could be six by nine for all it knows.

It is so frustrating to try to use an idiot-proof program and fail. *sighs*

But thanks for trying to help. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Make each short story its own "scene." When you compile it, you can make the title of your scenes the title for each short story.

Under the Format menu, show the ruler, and that will let you do indents.

Go into Compile, and you can change your Page Setup settings. Just do it once and compile into a PDF or Word doc or whatever. It doesn't really matter because it's just to save those settings so you won't have to worry about it anymore.