What do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have taken a break from writing. It is that time of year when curling up with a suspenseful book is what I want to do. With that being said, what do you suggest?
I write mystery and Thriller, so those are the types of books I am looking for. I am okay with a little touch of Romance, but not to heavy. I am definitely not a hearts and flowers type.

I have read every book by James Patterson and John Grisham...etc.

I love books that you spend the entire books trying to solve the mystery in your mind only to be blown away at the end.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
The Exorcst - William Peter Blatty
Psycho - Robert Bloch
The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins
The Troop - Nick Cutter
It - Stephen King
Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King
Finders Keepers - Stephen King

All right, some of these are just flat-out horror, I know. But are wonderful books, in general. You can never go wrong with Stephen King or Clive Barker. Also, if you don't mind some wonderful young adult horror, you can read the Miss Peregrine trilogy (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Hollow City, and Library of Souls, which came out last month) by Ransom Riggs.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I have read every book by James Patterson and John Grisham...etc.

Go back to your favorites and read them again, this time with a critical eye. See what you can learn by the words they've chosen, how they describe scenes, the structure of their stories, etc.

Have you seen any of the Richard Castle books yet? The Nikki Heat and Derrick Storm novels are surprisingly entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.