Flashbacks in Fiction

Writer-2-Author

Registered
Reaction score
I have always followed the advice to sliver in backstory, and to keep flashbacks to a minimum. My story is about a woman who returns to therapy to conquer her childhood within the foster care system, while also dealing with her present circumstances that are triggering her past. This past week I've been doing a lot of thinking about this story and it's need for flashbacks at certain points. So my question is, because it's about a woman healing from her past, is it okay to use flashbacks at the appropriate moments?

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
As long as said moments come after you've established who this person is. Personal pet peeve: when a story begins with a line like "As Joe looked out at the falling rain, he thought of the moment his life changed forever" and from there goes into a flashback. We don't know who Joe is or why we should care about his tragic gardening accident! All he's done is look at the rain; we know nothing else about him.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, it's fine. Flashbacks have a bad name because new writers use them poorly. Most novels use flashbacks to some extent. When done right, they fit the story, don't interfere with story, help illustrate character, and aid the reader.

Or, even more often, they so subtle, and the transition in and out are so smooth, the reader doesn't even realize a flashback just happened.