The Breakup Rejection Letter

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
I used to run the mystery magazine Mouth Full of Bullets and I now run an e-zine called Flash Bang Mysteries. When I reject a story, I’m only rejecting that ONE story, not the author or the author’s subsequent works. I had once rejected a story by an author and then loved the next submission so much that I made it the cover story. I’ve accepted a story by many an author only to reject the next one, but then accepted subsequent ones. It depends upon the story. Whatever my decision on a current story, I hope writers continue to submit their stories time and again, because a magazine/e-zine is absolutely nothing without writers and their next submission might be an editor’s favorite or a cover story.

When I began searching for an agent, I expected the query process was similar to the submissions process, insomuch as repeat submissions go. Let’s face it, agents are nothing without writers, and while an agent might reject one of my queries, they might absolutely love the next one and sell it to a major publisher for six figures. So, I figured agents were open to multiple submissions from authors for that reason. My thoughts were confirmed when I began reading interviews with agents. Several well-respected agents said they reply to all query letters, because they want those authors to think about them the next time they submit a manuscript.

Well, I queried this one agent and s/he requested a full. S/he told me s/he would’ve sold it to a major publisher in a heartbeat “five years ago”, but publishers were currently looking for high concept fiction, and s/he ultimately had to turn it down. I queried the same agent again and s/he remembered loving my first one, so s/he asked for a full. S/he wasn’t as taken with that one, and passed. Two more queries and four years later I received this message, in part, “I know we have had many exchanges in the past, and I’m just feeling a bit like there isn’t a match between you and I, so it’s probably best to focus your submissions on agents who haven’t read and passed on your work.”

It’s the most entertaining rejection letter I’ve ever received and it marks the first time an agent has ever broken up with me before we even had a relationship. My buddy jokingly said, “Wow, you’re so bad s/he doesn’t even want to see an email from you in his/her inbox anymore!”

While s/he made it clear s/he doesn’t want to receive a query from me in the future, I will absolutely ignore his/her advice regarding focusing my attention on “agents who haven’t read and passed on” my work. Following that advice would limit my future queries to TWO.

Have any of you ever received a breakup letter from an agent or editor?

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Damn. No, I haven't...and I've had A LOT of rejections. All I can think is that you write what she doesn't represent. But really, this is just rude, imo. S/he should pass with a boilerplate and move on. I don't get it. But I'm sorry you had to endure it. It speaks volumes about who they are, not you.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Well, it actually seems like she feels she has a good handle on your style and maybe that it doesn't suit her. She did give 2 fulls a read. I mean, I can read a book by an author and feel the work isn't really to my taste, but maybe it's just that book. If I read another book and feel the same, I might get to the "yeah, this author's probably not for me" stage. You wouldn't want her repping you in that case, anyway.

But of course you shouldn't avoid querying agents who've passed on you before. It's not like there are a slew of new ones coming into the agent-pool every year. That part was silly for her to say. Good luck as you continue on your quest!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't send her anything extra, did you? Anything, you know, extra special? :poke:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with ElaineA. The agent certainly has the right to make an informed decision that she doesn't want to see more of your work, but she's wrong to say you should avoid other agents who've rejected you. One of them might end up loving the next thing you write.

I had a situation a bit like this, where the agent saw three books of mine and seemed to like each one less than the last. She didn't "break up" with me, but neither did she suggest I query her again, and I probably would not have, because of her waning enthusiasm. Anyway, at that point I got an offer from my current agent, who had also rejected a previous book of mine. So, you're right. Requerying with new work can work out just fine, and you have nothing to lose by doing so. :)

I'd rather get a "breakup letter" than a boilerplate R, because then I'd know exactly where I stand, but I think that depends on the individual writer.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
Damn. No, I haven't...and I've had A LOT of rejections. All I can think is that you write what she doesn't represent. But really, this is just rude, imo. S/he should pass with a boilerplate and move on. I don't get it. But I'm sorry you had to endure it. It speaks volumes about who they are, not you.

Don't be sorry for me...a little rejection letter is nothing to endure. :) I've received between fifty and a hundred agent rejection letters for each of my novels, and I don't sweat it at all. And I'm not mad at all at the agent and I don't think it was rude. I thought the wording was humorous and that it was a unique rejection, which is why I shared it. (I half expected the next line in the rejection to read, "It's not you, it's me.":)

Oh, and it was not that I write what she doesn't represent. (She loved the first novel I submitted to her, which made her think she would like the next manuscripts.) I don't "shotgun blast" agents with my queries. I research them very thoroughly before I query them. I read their guidelines, I check out their blogs, I read every interview with them that I can find online, etc. If a writer submits a manuscript that an agent doesn't represent, the writer is not only wasting the agent's time, but the writer's time as well.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I dunno, I'm just kidding. Really, I think it was just one of those crazy replies and nothing to do but shrug and move on. It does make for a good story, though!

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I saw an agent tweet something similar once, that she thought a querier should have realized after 5 form rejections from her that it probably wasn't going to fit. Made me pretty sad, as I'm currently on my 3rd manuscript for querying and I don't intend to give up even if I have to query 3 more. There are only so many agents out there, especially that rep a specific genre.

:Hug2:

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
I'd rather get a "breakup letter" than a boilerplate R, because then I'd know exactly where I stand, but I think that depends on the individual writer.

I agree 100%...I like knowing where I stand, too. I've had an agent or two request every full I've ever sent them, and they reply with specific reasons why they're rejecting me, which is rare and informative.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
I dunno, I'm just kidding. Really, I think it was just one of those crazy replies and nothing to do but shrug and move on. It does make for a good story, though!

I mean, if I'm supposed to send chocolate, someone please let me know. I've been doing it wrong all these years. :tongue

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
But of course you shouldn't avoid querying agents who've passed on you before. It's not like there are a slew of new ones coming into the agent-pool every year. That part was silly for her to say. Good luck as you continue on your quest!

Thanks, Elaine! I've signed contracts with two publishers for four of the five novels I've written thus far (the fifth one is under consideration), so I've put the agent search on hold. If I decided to query another agent, the first on my list would be Jessica Faust.

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
I'm currently on my 3rd manuscript for querying and I don't intend to give up even if I have to query 3 more. There are only so many agents out there, especially that rep a specific genre.
:Hug2:

Amen. Keep submitting until they break up with you. :)

Yesplease

Registered
Reaction score
Glad she was honest! It will be nice to put your energy toward places that aren't dead-ends.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
That is one of the weirdest things I've heard. If that agent didn't connect with your voice, he/she should have made it clear in the rejection letter, rather than basically tell you not to darken their door again. I've had form rejections from agents who have requested and giving personalized advice on subsequent requested fulls.

However, sometimes, we as authors can sometimes read between the lines, and realize that some agents use less direct ways to break up with us without realizing it. Non-communication and repeated "Oh, I forgot, send it again but I'll lose it again," comes to mind. We don't want to be strung along, and avoid querying those agents in the future, even if we like them as persons.