• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Churn Publishing

DawnMB

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I was reading the website from Churn Digital Publishing, who publishes Kimball Lee (I actually can't tell if they publish anyone else *but* Kimball Lee.) Has anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.churnpublishing.com/

Thanks!

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
They talk about publishing services being offered at no cost. That they use this language at all is a problem. Not a fatal one, but a bad sign.

They call an advance a signing bonus.

They've called the company churn. I have friends in start-ups who spend months working out what to call themselves. It's the beginning of a brand identity. That this publisher has chosen a name synonymous with bad publishing, then proceeds to use language often found in bad publishing shows that this publisher doesn't understand the market. They may be a great place to sell a book. They may have a dedicated readership (though I'm SOL if I want to join that readership as I cannot find their books on their site--they talk a lot about promotion but the most basic of promotion is being able to direct an interested, prospective reader to your publisher's page).

Tread lightly.

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
seems kind of sketchy to me; submit and try to get published for 50% royalties. Or if you want to keep 100% of your royalties or they don't want to sign you, there are self publishing options starting at 99$ per book. I'm pretty sure that's per title, not per copy.
Is it considered kosher to play both sides of the aisle, like that?

DawnMB

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea if offering that option is considered ethical...unless they reject EVERYTHING and then push people to pay to get published. It's just something I found, they weren't listed in QueryTracker or PM and so I was curious. The payout is good but then again 50% of nothing is nothing and if they don't really publicize or do anything for you, you're probably better off keeping 70% and indie-publishing...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Company's run by Lee's son. No sign yet of publishing others.

ETA: Site gone by end of '16. Only published Lee, who continues to self-pub.

Last edited: