The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Churn Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Churn Publishing

Hi,

I was reading the website from Churn Digital Publishing, who publishes Kimball Lee (I actually can't tell if they publish anyone else *but* Kimball Lee.) Has anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.churnpublishing.com/

Thanks!

Churn is a dreadful title for a publisher.

If you sign a multiple book deal, we will manage your entire career while you write the sequels, giving you more time to CHURN out the bestsellers!
    She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Now with more stubble VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    They talk about publishing services being offered at no cost. That they use this language at all is a problem. Not a fatal one, but a bad sign.

They call an advance a signing bonus.

They've called the company churn. I have friends in start-ups who spend months working out what to call themselves. It's the beginning of a brand identity. That this publisher has chosen a name synonymous with bad publishing, then proceeds to use language often found in bad publishing shows that this publisher doesn't understand the market. They may be a great place to sell a book. They may have a dedicated readership (though I'm SOL if I want to join that readership as I cannot find their books on their site--they talk a lot about promotion but the most basic of promotion is being able to direct an interested, prospective reader to your publisher's page).

Tread lightly.

Since they are primarily an erotica/erotic romance pub, 'churn' has slightly more relevance to their branding than a synonym for hasty slap-dash production. I'm not interested in them, just pointing that out.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

A small town on the outskirts of a Walmart.
    seems kind of sketchy to me; submit and try to get published for 50% royalties. Or if you want to keep 100% of your royalties or they don't want to sign you, there are self publishing options starting at 99$ per book. I'm pretty sure that's per title, not per copy.
    Is it considered kosher to play both sides of the aisle, like that?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I have no idea if offering that option is considered ethical...unless they reject EVERYTHING and then push people to pay to get published. It's just something I found, they weren't listed in QueryTracker or PM and so I was curious. The payout is good but then again 50% of nothing is nothing and if they don't really publicize or do anything for you, you're probably better off keeping 70% and indie-publishing...

practical experience, FTW S.C. Wynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Churn is a dreadful title for a publisher.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Company's run by Lee's son. No sign yet of publishing others.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: