"Ex Machina" - Script Discussion

BlueCat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bluecatscreenplay.com
Alex Garland both wrote and directed the 2015 sci-fi thriller, "Ex Machina", starring Domhnall Gleeson, Alicia Vikander, and Oscar Isaac. Exploring themes of choice and humanity, the film opened modestly, but to critical acclaim (it still holds a 92% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes).

Read the screenplay and discuss the structure in this edition of the BlueCat Blog's Blue's Beats series: http://www.bluecatscreenplay.com/blog/blues-beats-22-ex-machina/

Did you like the movie? Did the themes resonate with you? What worked and didn't work?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I loved the idea behind the movie. I really liked the setup, but it dragged a bit toward the end, especially in the climax. The long silences were effective when the interviews were being conducted and when Caleb was spying on Nathan, but it got excessive. Just a little. It's not like it ruined the whole movie, but the last part could have been tightened a bit.

It made me uneasy, but in a good way. Overall, I enjoyed it, but I did want to shout "GET ON WITH IT" at the screen for the last 15 minutes or so.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I haven't yet read the script nor have I listened to the above broadcast, but I just wanted to share with you my first impressions as I watched it alone with close scrutiny.
I kept feeling that so much was going on in a stratosphere above my head in which I had no invitation to share.