I bit the bullet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
I was on the fence about downloading the Scrivener trial for NANO -- the idea of using it as a reward for finishing the 50K was a powerful motivator -- but I broke down and got it.

And OMG am I glad I did. I'm still getting used to it, but so far this morning I've created character sketches for most of the people I plan to include (previously written out on random nonessential pages of a notebook) and I'm putting together my plot outline (thus far scrawled on multiple pages of a legal pad).

I can't believe how much more comfortable I feel having all those notes and ideas right there instead of having to search through the piles of notebooks that are always scattered around me.

Anyone else having a honeymoon period with Scrivener?

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I think I'm out of the honeymoon period now and I still :heart: Scrivener.

There's still a lot of features I need to learn (and to remember to use), but even just the piece I do use are ones I don't want to do without.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Same here - I've been using scrivener for a few years, and I am so happy to have it. I was considering how much I love it while I was making yet another editing pass, and I could still find things, and check my notes, etc etc. I :heart: Scrivener.

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
I've been using it for about a year. I can keep all my notes, links, photos, everything in the one place. It's all organised and I can move stuff around whenever I want with ease. I'll never use anything else. :heart: :heart: :heart: Scrivener.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't undertstand how to use Scrivener. I used to have it on my old laptop, but I didn't get it, so I didn't continue with it.

If it's available as a free trial, I might give it another bash!

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, there's a trial. Right now, if you download the free trial you can use it till Dec. 7. Any other non-NANO time, it's a 30-day trial. I've also found a lot of helpful info is out there. Yesterday I watched a Youtube demo by NYT-bestelling author Jason Hough (whom I didn't know before this, full disclosure), who showed how he uses it to actually write his books. He's not a professional trainer, but he uses the thing and has found some great tweaks and can explain how he uses some of those features that make a lot more sense to me than the official explanations did.

If you're interested, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLXjMLEZ00E.

But I'd totally give it another try, especially if you're doing NANO. Can't hurt, right?

KatJamez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
mirrorrim.org
I use Scrivener too and love it. I admit too that I need to learn more about it's powers. Thanks for the link Jwriter - bookmarked for later.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I've never been able to fall in love with Scrivener -- I love it for kinda scrapbook-y projects like my ideas file, but for novel writing it has too many distractions compared to MS Word. My MS Word layout is a bit Scrivener-inspired though, using chapter titles to jump around and re-arrange pieces.

I'm going to watch Jason Hough's bootcamp and see if I can be converted. :D

Leema

Registered
Reaction score
I am using it for the first time due to the NaNo trial.

So far, it's exactly what I thought it was, and it's not exciting me. But I'll use it for NaNo and see if my impressions change. :)

inoue77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 100% scrivener convert. Nowadays my Microsoft Word stays shut most days and only sees the light of day for strange, unlikely cases (business card layouts and formatting teaching materials in my case) but as far as the actual DRAFTING goes, I'm all Scrivener. Never looked back. Never regretted it. Besides, I'm kind of chaotic in my drafting, jumping around, rearranging things, taking notes everywhere, and Scrivener enables that well. If only they finished the iPad app they've been going on about for so long... *sigh*

CSPayne

Oh look, here I am
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to do the free trial. I've never used it before and from the things I've heard it's not going to hurt trying it for NaNo. I write analog style. Pen & Paper. Time to get with the times and get organized if a novel is in my future! ;)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I use it mostly because I love how I can organise things. But... there's so many features I never use. And I should really learn about them so I can use it to its full potential.

JimRac

Registered
Reaction score
Scrivener is awesome, fantastic, superb, as well as "insert your favorite superlative adjective here".

It is stuffed full of features and nearly everything is tweakable--there are many ways to configure its behavior and look & feel. Also, unlike Word, it is not WYSIWYG, so you can do your drafting formatted one way but have the finished work look very different, without having to change how your drafting is formatted. These attributes make if very powerful, but can possibly lead to a learning curve for some folks.

I had heard people mention a possible learning curve, so I spent some time going through the tutorial that comes with the software as well as keeping the pdf manual open and handy for the first few weeks of using it. But I have found Scrivener well worth the trouble. I am really pleased with how well it flexes to accommodate my workflow. I have been writing with Scrivener now for a little over a year and for the most part I don't even know that it is there anymore. I just write and do my work and Scrivener is just second nature, a part of my writing process.

I really don't undertstand how to use Scrivener. I used to have it on my old laptop, but I didn't get it, so I didn't continue with it.

If it's available as a free trial, I might give it another bash!

Scrivener has a free 30 day trial available. It is a "true" 30 days, in that for example if you use it for 5 days, then stop using it, then start it up again 6 weeks later, you will still have 25 days left on your trial.

Last point is that there are almost always discounts available, just google Scrivener discounts.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.