Newspaper Titles In Italics

AndyE

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question:

If you're referring to a newspaper, should you put the title in italics? And should the 'The' have a capital letter?

"I picked up a copy of The Times" or "I picked up a copy of the Times"

AndyE

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks! I wasn't entirely sure, but it does look better that way.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Running with CMoS 16th, if you're American, 'the' isn't usually given a capital or put in italics, even if 'the' is part of the title. E.g.:

I read the Times.

UK newspapers also follow the same: 'the' is also lowercased within some style guides:

I read the Guardian.

But if it goes at the beginning of sentence, 'the' is given a capital:

The Guardian is a British newspaper.
The Los Angeles Times is American.

Italics are correct and you can even put the italicised titles of newspapers, books, songs etc in inverted commas

Some style guides (like CMoS 16th etc) recommend italics for books, newspapers, albums etc. But when it comes to parts of the whole (single tracks off an album etc) they recommend no italics, but quote marks. E.g..,

"Burn it to the Ground" from Nickleback's 2008 album: Dark Horse.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
We do have a rule that if "the" is part of the title, it should be capitalized. Some follow this rule, and some do not. Often, it depends on guidelines that are almost bizarre. The best rule is to check with the newspaper itself, and see how they want it. "The" is often dropped from the title because many sentences are confusing when this isn't done. If, for example, you write, The New York Times editor. . ., it sounds like there's only one editor. This means you write New York Times editor. . ., and it's correct.

As for italics, this is even worse than the guidelines for "the". Style guides usually say to italicize them, but I'd say far more don't follow this rule now than do. Even the newspapers themselves very seldom italicize the name of a newspaper. You can probably find a thousand articles where there are no italics for every article that does use them.

I stopped using italics for newspaper titles years ago, and every editor lets this stand because they do the same.