That great feeling when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You start reading through a book you're being paid to ghostwrite, and discover it's not utter crap. Ohhh, the relief. The sweet relief.

BubbleGumBG

Born to fly... stretching my wings
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between subconscious and conscious
How does the whole ghostwriting process work? I thought ghostwriters wrote the books, like from scratch. Is that not the case? Do you edit and rewrite something already written?

Glad to hear this one makes life a little easier for you, btw!

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I wrote it. I'm relieved to find out that what I wrote isn't crap.

This also isn't a formal ghostwriting thing. Just a friend who is paying me to write his stories. I don't know how its done on a big scale, but probably something similar.

BubbleGumBG

Born to fly... stretching my wings
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between subconscious and conscious
Ok, I see. The whole ghostwriting thing has always baffled me some. You're writing a book for someone, so they have to tell you what they want written. Why wouldn't they just write it themselves, then have it edited? And if they don't tell you word for word what to write, how do you know what to fill in the blanks with? (You don't have to answer all that if you don't feel like answering interview questions. They're just musings.)

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You're writing a book for someone, so they have to tell you what they want written. Why wouldn't they just write it themselves, then have it edited?

Same reason people hire builders to build houses. The person who wants the book written doesn't have the skills to do it themselves, or they can't be bothered.

And if they don't tell you word for word what to write, how do you know what to fill in the blanks with?

You interview them, get their stories, write the stories, then get feedback.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that has me baffled is how people get gigs like that. lol

Congrats on the job, and on it not sucking!

Status
Not open for further replies.