• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Penmore Press

Xagarath

Registered
Reaction score
http://penmorepress.typepad.com/home/

Couldn't find anything about this publisher on here. They seem to be open to most adult genres, print and ebook, and have a small stable of authors already. Apparently the CEO used to be editor over at Fireship.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Re-modernist

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The website seems fair enough for a small indie, the pages for each genre also seem fair enough, as do the covers of the book--totally fair enough for a small indie. The books seem a small enough selection to hint that maybe it's not an author-mill, although its probably early days.

The second step would be to flip open a few books on Amazon to see the quality, and to check their ranking to see selling ability.

The third step would be asking for contract terms. If it's something that's also fair enough for a small operation--say between 2 and 8 years+reasonable rights situation--then why not, if it hasn't panned out with the bigger players and it's time to flood the smaller guys with submissions.

KingtonLangley

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any direct experience with Penmore, but know the people who run it as I was with Fireship, and they're in it for the right reasons. From what I can see they're keen to get the contracts right so both publisher and author benefit.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They've had a MS of mine (subbed in late Oct., R&R in early Jan.). I'm now in wait & see mode.
They came well recommended, and I liked what my initial due diligence revealed.
I'll advise.

Overall, I thought them a good option. Communication was something less than optimum (long delays to questions, etc.). Couldn't work things out, so about six months in, it was a pass.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
An author on another board I frequent has just sold a Dark Fantasy set in 1900s England to them

Lily of Ulster

Registered
Reaction score
I know the found of Penmore, and yes, he was COO for Fireship Press, and he left for very, very legitimate reasons. I have two books with them. My novels are nowhere near "mainstream", as they deal with some subjects that other publishers won't touch (rape, abortion, sex involving minors, etc.) The publisher is British and not squeamish about raw material. They are very selective and realistic about kind of material they accept and what they think they can market effectively. I am very good friends with the team, and we go way back, so of course, I'm a little biased.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Email them and ask them?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since the website hasn't been updated since 2019, I'd say they're moribund at best.