• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Teen Beta Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdot32

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a teen reader between the ages of 13-19 who can read my entire novel in a short period of time. I'm talking about someone who can really go through it over the next couple of weeks. It is a brother and sister adventure story that is really fast paced, so I would prefer that you have been a beta reader before and someone who really likes to read YA Fantasy. I have had the book edited but still I want to get a few more sets of eyes on it. Specifically I would like to get feedback on anything that is missing as far as plot or world building. I would like to know if you like the personalities of the characters and the idea of the general world itself. Anything you think should be elaborated on or removed, I would like to know about. My goal in writing this novel was to create something new and fresh for teen readers to enjoy, which is why I want to get feedback from teen readers themselves.

Mikaelra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LuminousLiving.com
There are a ton of brilliant teens out there who are way beyond their years. And yet, in my experience, kids and teens are not usually great at giving helpful feedback. I know that is a blanket statement and I don't mean to offend anyone! I could be totally wrong. I am just speaking from experience.

You might post in a college forum or a high school bulletin board. Try it. See how it goes. maybe you will find a teen who loves writing.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
No, Mikaelra, I think you're quite right. Nobody tends to be as good and insightful a reader in their teens as when they're older. You just haven't read as much, and may lack the vocabulary to describe the problems in a book effectively. But you are closer to the age of protags and probably are more immersed in the YA trends, so I can see the appeal. I just would be very careful not to overly rely on the approval of a teen reader--get other opinions as well. In my experience, readers of that age group can be less particular about problems which older betas find serious, which doesn't do the author any favors. But of course, it's very satisfying to have your target demographic like the book :)

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sixteen -- you can send me the first 250 words or so to see if it's a good fit?

The posters above have pretty much said the standard disclaimer -- I'm not a lit professor or a professional book reviewer, etc. I'll do what I can, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.