RWA/WF chapter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THingleton

Registered
Reaction score
I write Women's Fiction so I am interested in joining the Woman's Fiction Writers Association. I know that it used to be part of RWA but they separated themselves from RWA and formed their own organization. Now I hear that RWA has a Romantic Women's Fiction Chapter.
Can someone tell me what the difference is so that I can decide what would benefit me most.

Thanks for any and all replies!

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
The link on the RWA website is dead. Do you have a working link? I'm a little surprised to see that on the RWA site. National had in past years made it clear that the organization was geared toward romance genre only and was making the break with women's fiction to keep the group as a whole within the legal specifications. Personally, I've found the biggest benefit to being in the RWA lies in the chapters. Make sure the one you want is actually active and check them out. Compare with the WFWA and see how they add up, and don't forget to compare the cost of each.

THingleton

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much. Yes, I was on the national site and they listed romantic women's fiction. If they mean that your novel has to be romance focused it may not be for me. The dues for WFW is 48$ a year compared to joining RWA and then having to join the romantic WF chapter, definitely over 100$.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Worth noting - you don't actually have to write romance to join RWA. You can write women's fiction (or anything else, or nothing at all) and join as an associate member - you can't vote in the elections and you can't serve on your chapter's governing board, but you can still get the rest of the benefits. I would suggest going to a meeting or two of your local RWA chapter and see if you like the people, honestly - if it's a group you feel you fit well with, joining is probably a good investment whether or not your book counts as "romance." If they're not people you want to spend regular time with, you wouldn't want to join anyway.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Status
Not open for further replies.