Registered
Reaction score
I am....oh, never mind. :greenie

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I am.

This is one of those that I started because I knew I recognized the lead actress, but couldn't figure out why, so I kept watching in hopes that I'd figure it out. Finally, someone on Twitter mentioned that she's Lady Sif.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I am.

This is one of those that I started because I knew I recognized the lead actress, but couldn't figure out why, so I kept watching in hopes that I'd figure it out. Finally, someone on Twitter mentioned that she's Lady Sif.

Who is Lady Sif? She looks familiar to me too.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Who is Lady Sif? She looks familiar to me too.

The female warrior from the Thor films and Agents of SHIELD.

So, give us your impression so far, Cyia?

I like it, but it's a little strange to me. So far, there hasn't been anything hinting at sci-fi or supernatural, so the future events component of her tattoos doesn't make much sense, yet. I hope they address it, soon. Also, the amount of blood she would have lost with that many tats at once would be daunting.

It kind of reminds me of a really old short-lived tv show called John Doe (starring the guy from Prison Break who plays Heat Wave on The Flash) about a man who showed up with amnesia and literally knew everything - like everything in the world.

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
I'm rather indifferent to it too. I keep watching because, well, I'm hoping my indifference morphs into something akin to curiosity.

I keep wondering why she doesn't have the tattoos removed that are "used" -- like the one with Weller's name and FBI on her back. Crime solved -- bye-bye tattoo! That way, when all the crimes are concluded, she can walk out tattoo-free (or at least able to chose her own tattoos). My suspension of belief keeps breaking down when I think of that poor actress having to arrive so early for her makeup transformation into tattoo-woman.

I think this is one that won't make it to the second season.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt the tats are painted on. I'd guess they use a bodysuit similar to the one created for Jennifer Lawrence when she plays Mystique. (Rebecca Romjin had to endure the full airbrush treatment, but in the last movie they'd made a fitted body-stocking to mimic skin.)If they are painted, then I'm sure they're stencils, which would cut the paint time considerably, as would every scene in which she gets to wear clothes. (That's a weird thing to say...)

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
Count me as another viewer who is on the fence right now. I like the premise but none of the characters are really grabbing me as people. I don't know whether that's an issue with the writing, the acting, or something else.

I'm also frustrated with the way Jaimie Alexander's character is developing. In the last episode especially, there were too many swings from bad-ass special forces soldier begging to be let loose with a gun to frightened victim who doesn't know what's happening to her. If you want me to buy her as a strong female character, she needs to stop falling to pieces every time she learns something new about her past.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ehhh, she's been thru some pretty traumatic stuff - I'll give her a pass on flipping back and forth. :Shrug:

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Count me as another viewer who is on the fence right now. I like the premise but none of the characters are really grabbing me as people. I don't know whether that's an issue with the writing, the acting, or something else.

I'm also frustrated with the way Jaimie Alexander's character is developing. In the last episode especially, there were too many swings from bad-ass special forces soldier begging to be let loose with a gun to frightened victim who doesn't know what's happening to her. If you want me to buy her as a strong female character, she needs to stop falling to pieces every time she learns something new about her past.

I'm okay with her emotions going back and forth because amnesia + shit written all over my body based on possibly someone else's agenda would freak me the hell out. And *spoilers* that scene at the CDC when she discovers she also has face tattoos? *shudders*. I do wish the agent played by the guy from Strikeback showed more emotion.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
We're watching it, but I'm still unsure about it. The last episode, (spoiler hidden) with the idea that she was born in Africa, puts a twist on the DNA showing she's Taylor Shaw.

The two subplots, one involving the boss and the other involving Weller's dad being accused of the kidnapping, need to flesh out more or I will lose interest.

Why do you think it's called "Blindspot?" What am I missing there?

And - as a point of tattoos - if they're that new, there would be skin flaking/peeling. Just sayin'.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think the blindspot is open for interpretation. The blacked out box tat covering her special forces eagle is a blindspot. The FBI agent has a blindspot for Taylor. By the end of the season, I'll bet we'll get mention of an operation Blindspot, too.

I really DO NOT like the subplot with the case file and secret operation. It feels shoe-horned in. And I still want immediate clarification of how all of these future facts are known with no hint of time travel being present in the show at all.

We may not get all the answers, though. The show's already been picked up, which means they've got space to draw out the mysteries.

(Oh, and the "mystery" of her DNA? Bone marrow transplant. Mystery solved.)

Scriptissima

Registered
Reaction score
I think the title might be less literal than, say, the tattoo that was cavering up the other tattoo. I think "Blindspot" might refer to the blind spot when driving a car. Something is "lurking" right there over your shoulder, yet you are unaware of it and you can't see it, unless you change "position."

So, yes, I'm watching, too, and so far I like it. Which, of course, doesn't mean anything, considering that I watch hardly anything that most people watch. :D And when I finally "discover" a show, it's usually been discontinued for quite some time (happened with "Prison Break," "White Collar," and "Firefly," to only name three. I'm not an early adopter regarding TV shows, probably aided by the fact that I don't have a TV...).

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...I think "Blindspot" might refer to the blind spot when driving a car. Something is "lurking" right there over your shoulder, yet you are unaware of it and you can't see it, unless you change "position."
Good point. :hi:

I'm thinking Weller's "obsession" with Taylor, plus his loyalty to his boss/job are his blind spots, and he will eventually have to change his "position" on both of these areas. :Shrug:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't quite put my finger on it, but something about the CIA vs. FBI episode felt a little "off." :Shrug:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I think what bothered me about the CIA vs. FBI episode, and why I couldn't take it 100% seriously, is something I noticed during the negotiation scene. Jane and Dodi didn't feel equivalent in value to the CIA to me. At the point when Carter demands one or the other, I had a hard time suspending disbelief.

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
I typically stop watching a new TV series when a built-in drinking game manifests itself too early. The drinking game for Blindspot became glaringly apparent by the third episode, which is when I bailed. By then, the repetition had become laugh-out-loud hilarious for me.

Zombie Fraggle's Official Blindspot Drinking Game

Take a shot:

1. Every time Jane says "But . . . but (he/she/something) is the only lead to finding out who I am!"
2. Every time Weller tells Jane to stay in the car.
3. Every time Jane does not, in fact, stay in the car.
4. Every time a higher-up tells Weller that Jane can't go with him because she's a civilian.
5. Every time Weller replies to #4 by saying, "But . . . but she can totally handle herself!"
6. Every time Jane morosely admires her tattoos in a mirror or any handy reflective surface.

In other words, the drinking game for this show will effing kill you. Do not try this at home.

Also, as an unrelated aside, the fact that "blind spot" is not a compound word annoys the shit out of me for some reason.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering how many of these episodes were shot at once. So far, they've all got basically the same production and writing value, which isn't a bad thing, but usually once a show gets its feet under it, the values go up. Right now, there's still *way* too much of the convenience factor, with the last two episodes being glaring examples.

Being led to the dude whose case number is tied to like everyone was bad enough, but the one that really bugged me was the hacker-girl's "Hey did you notice this obscure not-quite-black pattern in the block on your arm?" thing that opened up the idea of layered tattoos. It's highlighting something fairly severe in the show, which is that the premise just isn't sustainable. I think this one would have worked better if it had been made into a movie. The longer it goes, the more glaring the "coincidental timeline" will stand out. They're solving cases in order, but the order has to be both random AND planned out in advance for the story to work, and it's really starting to grate my nerves. I'm kind of hoping for an episode where Jane totally loses it and goes to the doctor to have the tattoos removed without telling anyone. (Yes, tat removal is more complicated than that, but I don't think it would matter on this show.)

Plus: IN WHAT CONCEIVABLE WORLD WOULD THE FBI TURN A CIVILIAN LOOSE IN THE WORLD WITH A GUN?!!!

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I typically stop watching a new TV series when a built-in drinking game manifests itself too early.

My drinking game would consist of "those people are too stupid to be XXX" - in this case, FBI agents. They keep going into known dangerous situations without back up and doing other knuckled stuff. In the latest episode, which I'm watching now on DVR, all four of them go into the cabin and leave their vehicle and the exterior of the cabin unwatched, and so the tires are slashed. And then there are was something else that I commented on, and my husband lost patience with me and said, "Watch the show or don't." So now I'm keeping my lips pursed so I'm not ruining it for him. :Ssh:

but the one that really bugged me was the hacker-girl's "Hey did you notice this obscure not-quite-black pattern in the block on your arm?" thing that opened up the idea of layered tattoos. It's highlighting something fairly severe in the show, which is that the premise just isn't sustainable.

I've wondered from the start why they didn't bring in a cryptologist to unlock the puzzles of her tattoos, rather than relying on the computer tech - except she's not just the computer tech, according to Wikipedia, she's the head of the FBI forensic science unit. Which is also unbelievable to me, since she doesn't seem to be leading others in doing the work but doing the work herself. As the head of the unit, she'd be managing a group of others, not involved in the individual cases. At least I think so. Who knows? I'm not FBI. Or am I ?

oops, said too much ... :gone:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I will say, despite any other misgivings I may have about it, the show is moving at quite a clip. It feels like we just started and it's already almost time for the midseason finale.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree - I'm still enjoying it, despite some things about the writing that is getting on my nerves.