Fort Bragg restaurants required to use paper plates

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
According to an article in the Washington Post, the drought has gotten so bad that the river used to supply the town is too low to keep out the ocean water at high tide, contaminating the water supply. They've had to make some pretty drastic cuts, including asking all the restaurants to use disposable silverware and plates. As you could imagine, restaurants aren't super pleased with this, particularly considering the expense.

A couple of thoughts that occurred to me upon reading it: Do you think seeing this actually playing out in California will start making other locations take this sort of issue (and maybe global warming as a whole) more seriously? Do you think California will start seeing a mass exodus of residents and businesses, or do you think towns will find solutions quickly? Do you think they'll find solutions at all or keep doing things like requiring plastic utensils when those actually require a lot more water and pollution in the long run to produce?

My town has a smaller water crisis going on, as do many others. They've estimated that our aquifer won't last more than a couple of years. During this past election, we had a ballot measure that would have used a sales tax to pay for a new water source to be established, and it got voted down because "Boo, liberal agenda! Boo taxes bad!" (Ironically, the state government that was voted in has actually just instituted a sales tax of its own, but we don't get as much good stuff out of it). I've often felt like it would take seriously epic consequences before anyone started doing anything about all the environmental problems we had, and I'm hoping that the situation in California acts as a wake up call.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think seeing this actually playing out in California will start making other locations take this sort of issue (and maybe global warming as a whole) more seriously?.

To be blunt: no. Normalcy bias is a bitch.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's my concern. It's so easy to blow something off if it isn't happening to you. But the people in government might see this and start to be alarmed, especially when you consider the costs both in fixing problems and in losing citizens.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's my concern. It's so easy to blow something off if it isn't happening to you. But the people in government might see this and start to be alarmed, especially when you consider the costs both in fixing problems and in losing citizens.

You just bumped the Fukushima thread. How does that situation hold up to this thesis? Exactly.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a different situation. I'm too tired to figure out how to explain how, but in my head it's different. There is hope!

I'm actually pretty damned cynical about these things, to be honest. I'm trying to be less so, but I'm pretty sure society is going to collapse into a waterless flaming ball and it's going to turn into a Mad Max free for all by the time my kid is an adult. That's scary, though, so I'm trying to be all hope and change about things instead.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a different situation. I'm too tired to figure out how to explain how, but in my head it's different. There is hope!

I'm actually pretty damned cynical about these things, to be honest. I'm trying to be less so, but I'm pretty sure society is going to collapse into a waterless flaming ball and it's going to turn into a Mad Max free for all by the time my kid is an adult. That's scary, though, so I'm trying to be all hope and change about things instead.

I applaud that. I spend every minute I can spare thinking about such things. Our entire socio-economic model is suicidal. Throw in the military-industrial-corporate-political system and it's homicidal too. We are bumping into the limits of where our primate brains can take us. We will either figure that out before the doo-doo hits the fan, or those of us left will have to sort it out after the fact. I work on the problem enough that I'm pretty much out of hope. We're trapped by gigantic anti-human corporations, massive bureaucratic apparatus, and short-sighted human nature. Time is running out. But, as Tarzan always said, "While there is life, there is hope."

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't this community in an acute water emergency situation, and this disposable serviceware edict temporary?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't this community in an acute water emergency situation, and this disposable serviceware edict temporary?
That's one version of the story. The other is that the water resource for the entire region has been horribly mismanaged for decades, and this is just the harbinger of much worse things to come.

We report, you decide.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
The 10 inches of rain there from the recent flooding rains in the Carolinas probably fixed their drought! We go from drought to hurricane-related rains, but this cycle was a bit extreme. The amount of rainfall was deadly and horrible and seemed like it would never stop. Someone's rain dance worked too well :(

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
The 10 inches of rain there from the recent flooding rains in the Carolinas probably fixed their drought! We go from drought to hurricane-related rains, but this cycle was a bit extreme. The amount of rainfall was deadly and horrible and seemed like it would never stop. Someone's rain dance worked too well :(

The OP is talking about Fort Bragg California. At first I thought it was Ft. Bragg, NC too.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for not being clearer. I didn't want to say California and make it sound more widespread than it is, so I used the town name instead.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
That's one version of the story. The other is that the water resource for the entire region has been horribly mismanaged for decades, and this is just the harbinger of much worse things to come.

We report, you decide.

That would not apply to Fort Bragg, because it is not connected to those water projects that offend you. It's a small town on the North Coast that usually gets plenty of local precipation.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I'd ever heard of this town! Oops. Sorry! We did have drought before the floods in NC, so the restriction didn't strike me as odd for being our Ft Bragg.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
So, if the predictions of a good snow fall this winter and more rains in Southern California are wrong, then we might be getting close to the time to move to Cal. Real estate prices will drop, and there will be less pressure on water resources, if most of the people leave. I'll keep it in mind and consider it in the Spring, but I saw something recently about the progression of the current el Nino; it was suggested that it will be a wet winter in the West. We will see.

Robert Dawson

Getting The Hang Of It
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cs.smu.ca
Hmmm. Paper plates are made from waterborne pulp, yes? Does anybody know if it takes more water to make a paper plate than to wash a reusable plate?

Of course, it's somewhere else's water (where presumably the supply is not failing) and I suppose that it's more efficient to ship 10,000 paper plates than to transport the water to wash them.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure people realize that. That doesn't help Fort Bragg since they don't make paper plates there, so not using paper plates doesn't help with the local water supply, whereas not having to wash the dishes does. It's obviously a short-term response to a possibly short-term problem (assuming El Nino kicks the precipitation in as hoped). Also, nothing happening with water supplies in Southern California has anything at all to do with Fort Bragg and its issues. It's in a very different part of the state, and its water isn't being diverted to Southern California.