How many words should a middle grade novel be?

CryingKatie

Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing a little research and every website says something different. Some say 20,000 to 40,000 is enough, while others say 40k+. My book is 30,000.

Also, what if the average word count for a children's chapter book? Do you just submit the writing? What if you can't draw? Does the agent only want to see the writing or drawings too?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
30K should be fine. Though I'll admit I tried this time to write shorter at 45K and have been asked by my editor to write more, so it really depends on the story you are telling and how you tell it.

I don't know what the wordcount is for chapter books but no you don't worry about illustrating anything. It's the same with picture books. You send them the words and then the publisher assigns an artist to the project. :)

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
Part of it depends on whether your book is more geared for lower or upper MG, and the genre. The ones whose word counts tend higher are upper MG, and those that are in the fantasy/ sci-fi genre can go higher still.

Now chapter books are a different matter, being a step between picture books and MG novels (books like Flat Stanley), and what I have read gives their range at 4,000-10,000 words. If your book is 30,000 words, it either isn't a chapter book or it is much too long for a chapter book, at least according to industry standards.

If you are not sure where you book falls in all of this, you need to find out before you submit. One thing I am pretty sure of is that there is an expectation in the publishing world that you be already familiar with the breakdown of different types of children's books and have some idea of where your book fits in it.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Adding onto all the very salient points jlmott made, when writing for kids each market has different writing expectations when it comes to word choice as well. Chapter books are going to have a very different vocabulary to a middle grade novel. Remember, kids are at different stages in their reading comprehension. It isn't just a question of wordcount that determines a chapter book vs a middle grade, it's also a matter of what the words themselves are.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
^^ Endearing beat me to it - that link is my go-to for word count.

Yesplease

Registered
Reaction score
I've been googling this a lot recently, and am finding 30,000-40,000 give or take 5,000 seems to be the right ballpark.

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
There have been some great replies already, but just to say, yes, 30-40k is fairly standard. If you're writing fantasy or science fiction, this will often go a lot higher. I know that Skellig by David Almond was a touch under 30k, and that felt perfect to me, so I aimed for 30k with my first MG book. Editing took it slightly higher, but if you can tell the story in 30k words, it's fine.