• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Help with book Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I just googled the name I want for my book "Altered Time" and saw that World of Warcraft has a spell called Alter Time.

I think I read somewhere that Blizzard get really shitty with people who seem to be copying stuff from their games and was wondering if this could be a potential problem?

Sword&Shield

Registered
Reaction score
What.

Seriously, this is the least of your problems. The phrasing of "alter time" is not something new that Blizzard created and trademarked.

They also have a spell called Accelerate (ty google!). Should no one ever use the world Accelerate in anything now because World of Warcraft has that as a spell name?

Or the word Cleave. Or the word Clever. Or the word Collapse.

Just write.

Last edited:

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
You are fine.

Valve converted a user-made Warcraft map into the game DotA 2, and all they fought about was trademarking the "DotA" name. And this is between two rival game companies.
Anyway, Valve renamed some of the items and characters because they were originally based on Blizzard IP. But they only changed the iconic stuff, and words that don't exist outside the Blizzard universe. Some of the base items were lifted straight from the Warcraft game.
I don't think any ability names were changed. Something as generic as "altered time" should be fine.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I just googled the name I want for my book "Altered Time" and saw that World of Warcraft has a spell called Alter Time.

I think I read somewhere that Blizzard get really shitty with people who seem to be copying stuff from their games and was wondering if this could be a potential problem?

It's a common-enough word combination that I don't think you need to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.