I am looking for a book that even Google can't find. Please help me.

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score
About 8 years ago, a friend lent me a novel with either a mostly blue or mostly green cover. I swear it was called Book Book, and it was the fictional life story of a woman in Australia.

The first few pages talked about the Iraq War and mentioned Xenophon. Her father fought in one of the world wars and had a disfigured hand, and later he died from having shrapnel diffuse through his blood. The main character and her sister had the mumps when they were little and were in bed for half the year, re-emerging in the spring time. She got married and vacationed in Iceland. Later she got divorced and dated a man named Rory.

It was a subdued, rambling book, and these are the snippets that I remember. I can't find any mention of it, and the title doesn't help anything. Does anyone recall anything like this?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
fwiw, Book Book is near Wagga in NSW.

Xenophon might be the original or Nick Xenophon, the SA senator.

This doesn't narrow anything down.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
That's brilliant.

*pins internet medal on mccardey*

So, nothing to do with Book Book in NSW. Or Nick Xenophon. Or Australia.

*goes to write that book*

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*blush*

It was nothing, really. I just had a couple of moments free....

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
*ahem* Was it Book Book by Fiona Farrell?

You're welcome :)

ETA: I found it on librarything.com and went to Amazon for the blurb.

Please, someone. Help me find the title to this non-fiction action book on the subject of wind currents written by a female author who defied conventions by her chosen topic. This book is mentioned by numerous writing teachers and seminars about you can write a bestseller on any topic.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That's brilliant.

*pins internet medal on mccardey*

So, nothing to do with Book Book in NSW. Or Nick Xenophon. Or Australia.

*goes to write that book*

Lol!
Helix, you kill me.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Please, someone. Help me find the title to this non-fiction action book on the subject of wind currents written by a female author who defied conventions by her chosen topic. This book is mentioned by numerous writing teachers and seminars about you can write a bestseller on any topic.

At least FeeFee had a title.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a garbled description of Longitude by Dava Sobel, about the problem of determining longitude at sea. It's not on the subject of wind currents per se, but does address wind, currents, and weather as factors in the difficulty of solving the problem. It was a bestseller, and I have heard it used as an example of an unlikely topic for a bestseller.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a garbled description of Longitude by Dava Sobel, about the problem of determining longitude at sea. It's not on the subject of wind currents per se, but does address wind, currents, and weather as factors in the difficulty of solving the problem. It was a bestseller, and I have heard it used as an example of an unlikely topic for a bestseller.

Marlys,
You're a wiz! Thanks a lot!

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score
I need help again. There are 2 books I'd like to reread:

1. I read this in around 5th grade. It was about a precocious teenage tomboy who lived on a farm sometimes in the late 1800s/early 1900s. I remember that she had a love interest named Jack, and there was also a character named Cal who had a limp. She loved riding horses, and I believe it was a series. There was a scene where she was riding a horse while very sick, and Jack pulled her onto his horse and led her horse alongside his.

2. I read this in 8th or 9th grade. It took place around 1900 and was about a society woman who marries an older but handsome man and goes to live with him. I don't remember much happening, just her coming of age sort of thing while she struggles with the dynamics of the marriage. It's not Edith Wharton but around that Edwardian timeframe and I believe with similar themes.