Crusades?

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
So... I've been struck by an unconventional superhero story idea. I think I want to set it in and around the third and fourth crusades, at least to start. Mainly because Saladin is too awesome not to use, and the sack of Constantinople could provide a fun couple of scenes.

Anyone got any good resources to recommend beyond Wikipedia? Historical personages beyond the big S, and King Richard? Fun stuff that gets overlooked that you'd think would be awesome?

I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to do this one right. Especially since it's a weird one...

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's a long time since I studied the Crusades so I don't have any specific references to suggest -- but I would say that the bibliography at the bottom of the Wikipedia article looks like a very good place to start.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
My local brick-and-mortar stocks a load of books about the Crusades--more than any other subtopic in the medieval Europe bookshelves. Those wars have never been a big focus of my interest in medieval England, so I never researched it well. But I think a few well-chosen tomes might give you the depth and flavor your project will require.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the Crusades is a pretty popular subject, so there's certainly no shortage of books. The hard part with any popular subject is separating the good history from the crap.

I'm sure the Cambridge History of Islam covers the Crusades. If this is going to be a comic, you'll probably need visual reference material too. I'm also sure Osprey's line of illustrated military history books has several installments on the Crusades.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Google 'Les Passages d'Outremer'

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions!

Funds being limited, I found my way to the local libraries and cleaned their shelves of a few useful tomes. So far the two that seem best suited for my purposes are The Oxford Illustrated History of the Crusades, by Riley-Smith, and The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land, by Thomas Asbridge.

I do have a few bucks left of Amazon gift card, and it's looking like I can grab Maalouf's The Crusades through Arab Eyes for under a dollar. Used, natch, but that's no problem. Between that and the library resources, I should have what I need.

Minor setback when I found out that Marvel already has a superhero called "Crusader", but that's fine. I can rename him.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget about interlibrary loans if your local public library doesn't have a book you want to consult.