Western/Horror

Jrubas

Frankensteinian patchwork
Registered
Reaction score
I have a horror/western novella (11,971 words) gathering dust in my archives, and I was wondering if anyone might know of a market I might try it on. I've gotten a few rejections (one was very nice...the editor said it reminded him too much of Dracula and 'Salem's Lot), but it's at that awkward length (not quite a short story, not quite a full-fledged novella) and finding somewhere to sub it has proven difficult.

Jonah Hex

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you can try to publish it via Amazon, in ebook form. The length of your work is ideal for this kind of publishing.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't tried them yet, Tor publishes novelette-length stories on their site and they have a few Western / Sci-fi / Fantasy mashups in their archives, so I see no reason they wouldn't at least consider a Horror Western.

Victor Douglas

Things Will Change
Registered
Reaction score
At the moment, it appears that Tor.com isnt accepting new novelletes.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Either cut it down to short story length, or go all out and make it a novel. Length is always the writer's choice, and any story can be told at any length. A story that won't sell at 11,000 words is often easy to sell at 6,000 words, or as a novel at 70,000 words.

By and large, even when novelettes and novellas do sell, they're usually written by established writers.