South Carolina

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
We are okay, but my work is on a street that is flooded and partially collapsed. If you are here in So Cal, let us know how you are doing! I'd love to go to work tomorrow, but they've closed the highway to get into Cola.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
My folks lived in Georgetown and my mom's family is from Edgefield. I've been getting flood pictures all day.

Thinking good thoughts for you all.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"---a Sikh greeting)

Holding the good thought for people in flood country. Wish you could ship some of it to the reservoirs and rivers of the West.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have the sense everyone is affected. I mean, how can the state ever be the same? Not that I doubt a recovery; I don't doubt that one bit. But this has been so major and still is, in life-changing ways for such a large swath of the land and its population, and reverberating out into other areas as well....

I am grateful that no one I personally know was hurt. My sister in coastal North Carolina says her street is submerged a block and a half away from her house in one direction; another friend was grateful an insecure old tree had already been removed because she is pretty sure it would have fallen on her house and car. Here we had no flooding and only ( ! ) five inches of rain in those three days.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
It is frightening about the affect it had had on our infrastructure, and the number of sinkholes that have rendered hundreds of roads impassible. I have to thank the local Cola station, NBC's WISTV for keeping us all informed and telling us to stay home. They did a fantastic job. I can't say enough about the Governor, Sheriff, Army National Guard and all of the local first responders who were there from the onset. I really have grown to love this town and its sense of community.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Able to get into work yet or no? Things drying up at all there?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to google it; "Cola" is a nickname for Columbia, South Carolina, right C.bronco?

I read that the latest issue is the water supply, which is threatened by the dam breaches and contamination. But it sounded like they have a work-around in place.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck to you all - here's hoping for a speedy recovery.