• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Earth's End Book Publishing Consortium

oracle

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of earthsendbooks publishing? I havn't found any info regarding them and my local B&N has none of their books in stock. I believe they are a consortium of four smaller comapnies. One of the contributors here referred them to me but I am skeptical of their claims that they accept all sunmissions. Their web site state that iUniverse is their POD contact. Any help appreciated. Thanks and Happy Easter

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Why you would want to do business with a "publisher" which cannot be found and/or contracts with iUniverse?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Are you shure that name is letter perfect? It seems to me that even a small press would 'google' but I find nothing under earth's end books, earth send books etc

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how their name is spelled. If they claim they accept all submissions, they're bad news.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Okay, I don't know why I couldn't find anything before, but now I can find even mugs for sale with their logo on:
http://www.zazzle.com/product/168429055228882361
The mug says "Got Book? Get published! earthsendbooks.com" and for some reason I am irresistably reminded of the old UK slang meaning of 'mug'.

By damn! It may be Wilbert F. Quick, late of PublishAmerica! Along with the mug, they're selling his book, Jacy's Girl:
http://www.zazzle.com/product/228219443395195817

And here's the website itself:
http://earthsendbooks.com/
In case it vanishes again, here's the intro: "
Hello and Welcome to the Earth's End - a Twenty-first Century Book Publishing Consortium where five of America's finest publishers have come together under one virtual roof. If you are a new author, you will probably want to visit Earth's End Book Publishing. If you are an Oklahoma Author, previously published or not, Arbuckle Free Press is also an option for you that should be explored. Odell-Truman Book Publishers accepts submission by invitation only and a password is needed to submit. iUniverse is our subsidy publishing affiliate. The Lemon Press Lemonade Factory is only for authors who have a book that was previously published but who have re-acquired the rights to their books. Between these five companies, over 3000 new books will be published this year."
Below are links, one to The Book Fixers with the caption 'Need help getting your book ready?' and one to iUniverse.

Of particular interest, I think, is this bit about Lemon Press: The Lemon Press Lemonade Factory is the brainchild of author/lecturer Wilbert F. Quick*. Because of a horrible first book experience with an unscrupulous publisher, Quick chose to subsidize his second book through iUniverse where he would maintain complete control over the publishing process and end up with a book that could sell at a reasonable price. Quick found iUniverse to be much better, and he recommends iUniverse as the best way to publish a book that needs a lot of help. However, Quick also found that many people don't need all of the services that authors have to pay for when subsidizing the publication of their books. To serve the needs of this community, Quick founded the Earth's End Book Publishing Consortium. Lemon Press, an affiliate of Earth's End, is a special publisher for authors who have had bad experiences with previous publishers and have reacquired the rights to their books.

And I will let more experienced eyes than mine construe these snippets from the FAQ:
How much are your discounts?

For one book, 20 percent. Many book sellers will order a book POD and have it shipped directly to the customer. They have no investment in the book and they don't have to warehouse it. We don't see any need to reward this behavior, but we'll allow them to make a little bit of money on the deal. Once you have been around us for awhile, you will begin to understand how important we believe it is to get the book seller to make a commitment.

For orders of three books or more shipped to the same address, we offer 30 percent discounts. Ten books or more get 35 percent, and twenty books or more get 40. Authors are treated like a book seller in this regard. Hey, we know you are not going to eat the books you order. But there is one major exception. Authors get the 20 percent discount even if they order only one book at a time. We do not, however, encourage you to buy your own books. Our needs are best served if you promote the sale of your book at your local book stores.

and

5. What do you do to promote the book?

<>We present you to as many people as we can and let you sell your book. We'd put you on with Leno if we could. That is a long shot, however; so we do the next best thing. We ask that you furnish us with the names and addresses of newspapers and tv stations in your market area. If you can give us the names of actual people, such as talk show hosts and entertainment columnists, that would be even better. We will send out press releases to them alerting them to the news of your book release and upcoming book signing. We'll follow up with a phone call point blank asking them when we can expect to see you in the spotlight. Putting you there is how we sell your book, and that is how we make our money. We also ask that you provide us with addresses of book stores in your market area. We mail out a press release introducing you and your book. Then we follow this up with a phone call discussing the publicity your book is getting in their market and inquire if they would like to benefit from it. We offer them our best discount and offer them a way to make any unsold books returnable during this promotion. The bottom line is that we invite the bookstores to support our effort to help them make some money.

*I was right! Yay me!
I'm not a watchdog at all, oracle, but it looks to me as if you'd do just as well to go straight to iUniverse yourself, instead of having one of them (and I suspect they're all Wilbert F. Quick) arrange it for you. Why add a middleman to self-publishing?
-Barbara
PS: I'm not at all skeptical of their claim to accept all submissions. I completely accept it, which is why I'm deeply skeptical of them. But probably that was what you meant?

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, here's another one for my collection of PAers Gone Wild....

Oracle, please ask the one who referred you to drop by and explain why s/he recommends this outfit.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Toni1953 said:
3,000 books in one year? That's in PA's league.
I wonder if he's including iUniverse's numbers in there? There's no way the other 'members of the consortium' could manage it. I also wonder if iUniverse knows that it's become part of this consortium?
-Barbara

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Variable discounts? These people have no idea what they're doing.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect it surprises no one to hear this venture didn't last long....