Curious about iPods and playlists

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I mentioned recently that I was planning on buying a new iPod during the after-Christmas sales. I was leaning towards the iPod Nano 16GB.

Anyway, I started wondering about how easy it is to set multiple playlists in an iPod. (I have a Shuffle right now, which is absolutely bare-bones, and can't do playlists at all.) Like, here's what I'd like to do:

Playlist 1: All my music.
Playlist 2: Metal.
Playlist 3: EBM / Dark Electro.

Because yeah... Sometimes I just want music, but other times I want a specific genre and not the other. (I've de-cluttered my music collection to the point where I only own metal or EBM / dark electro stuff.)

But I wanted to make sure the iPod Nano could do such things, in such a way that I don't have to use up twice the GB for each song appearing in 2 playlists...

Thoughts?

There's no rush - I will wait till the after-Christmas sales, for sure. But I'm curious, and thought I'd ask before I forgot. :)

Queen Yinin

Newbie writer in over her head...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 7th gen ipod nano (at least I think its is... It's an ipod anyway :p ) and I use playlists.

You don't use twice the gb if one song is on two playlists.

It's really easy to do playlists, you make them in iTunes and when you sync your ipod with your computer the playlists automatically transfer. It's more difficult to create playlists whilst out n about, but they do have a feature for that. I just don't use it very often because its fiddly. You can't edit playlists whilst out n about either.

Edit: also, on my ipod if I really wanted to only listen one genre I wouldn't need to make a playlist for that. you can select songs by genre and only listen to eg metal. You just need to make sure your songs are properly organised on iTunes, that they're all assigned to the correct genre. That doesn't always happen on mine as I occasionally get my music from non-iTunes sources...

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, the EBM / dark electro albums have a rather varied list of genres in iTunes... Sometimes they're listed as dance, or electronic, or metal... And some of my metal albums are listed as alternative. I've never bothered trying to fix it because, well, I've never seen any point to it.

But yeah. I'd probably just set up the 3 playlists in iTunes right from the start (with the new iPod I'll eventually have), and only fiddle with them when I buy a new album.

Thanks for the response. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, erm, a follow-up question: Is it possible to set an iPod Nano to shuffle *within the playlist*? Like, if I wanted to listen to just the metal playlist, but wanted it on random - possible or not? (Can you tell I've never actually used playlists before? :tongue)

Because yeah. Random is an essential thing for me. If I can't get random going, it's a deal-breaker, and I just realised that it might be a bit temperamental to set a not-the-entire-list-of-songs-on-the-iPod playlist to random...

Queen Yinin

Newbie writer in over her head...
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah you can. Once you open the playlist "shuffle" is above whatever song usually comes first. you can select either.