Not open for further replies.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
October 1 - NaNoWriMo season is open!

Who's in this year? Have you got a story picked out or are you waiting for an idea? Are you going to spend October outlining? Or sipping pumpkin spice lattes and just waiting to pants it?

This will be my tenth NaNoWriMo. Zoiks! Can I make it ten tries, ten wins? We will see.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'm in, but not for a traditional NaNo. My goal this year's not 50k, but two finished novels from my incomplete projects. Both prior NaNos that fell short before completion because I didn't plot carefully. So I'm gonna plot them out this time, keep what I can, scrap what I can't, and ideally put "the end" on them. If I can do that, then I'll count myself a winner. :)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm going to try this year or not. I'm still struggling to finish my current WIP. If I can figure out a way to work on that for NaNo, then I might be in. My life will be somewhat calmer in November than it's going to be in October.

NMEvans

Registered
Reaction score
I've never tried NaNo but the idea intrigues me. I'm still debating, mainly because I'm iffy about blowing off my current project for a month. I realize that a lot of people probably have the same concern. How does everyone deal with that kind of thing?

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. I'm on the fence about whether to stick to my current WIP or to go back to an idea I started outlining last December. I feel like the second concept is a lot stronger than the first, but I've been working on the first one for months and sticking it out through November might help me finish it.

Either way it'll be my second NaNo. Last year a friend of mine invited me to do it with him on October 30th, which gave me all of one day to come up with an idea, which I ended up scrapping after about 4,000 words. Yet another idea got me to the finish line.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
This is my 11th NaNo, and of course I'm in. I'm doing something very different this year. I'm not sure if it makes me a rebel or not. I'm serializing my NaNo work and posting it on Wattpad as I go. My inspiration was a flash fiction piece I did for AW's flash fiction challenge, and at the time I thought, "This is the most fun I ever had writing, but I think that if I made this a novel, it wouldn't be as fun." So the serialization is *meant* to be a bunch of related shorts in one package. But it's me, so I'm sure an arc of some kind will show up.

The new forums open on the 5th, so I'm awaiting that!

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've never tried NaNo but the idea intrigues me. I'm still debating, mainly because I'm iffy about blowing off my current project for a month. I realize that a lot of people probably have the same concern. How does everyone deal with that kind of thing?
Your current project can be your NaNo project. It's no longer a rule that you need to start from scratch. :)

Ooh, Sage, that sounds so cool! Good luck. :)

NMEvans

Registered
Reaction score
Your current project can be your NaNo project. It's no longer a rule that you need to start from scratch. :)

That is definitely good to know, thanks! November is a crazy month for me, so I'll definitely have to do some thinking on this. :)

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That is definitely good to know, thanks! November is a crazy month for me, so I'll definitely have to do some thinking on this. :)

Definitely think on it, but know that as crazy as the month can be, it's still possible. :) People have done it while working on dissertations and degrees, I've done it while hosting my whole family for Thanksgiving or traveling for a week... It's daunting. It's VERY daunting. It pushes you to limits you never knew you had. But you don't do it alone, and at the end, you've got a ton more words, 50k or not, and for me, that makes it entirely worth it. :)

Funaek

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! This will be my first Nano! I don't even know what this consists of and have to do some reading about it. But I have an idea that I've been thinking about for a while. I thought I'd start writing it too early but I haven't been able to write anything recently. So I'm going to spend October planning (which is odd for me since I'm normally a pantser), and hopefully that will help me speed through in November.

mongoose29

quelling the inner editor
Registered
Reaction score
Rebel here, and darn proud of it. Will be revising my WIP -- which will probably require the writing of at least 50,000 new words.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I love NaNo but with life the way it is, I can only commit to every other year. I'm hoping to be at a good place to start a new project for NaNo next year.

Becky Black

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
This is my 11th NaNo, and of course I'm in. I'm doing something very different this year. I'm not sure if it makes me a rebel or not. I'm serializing my NaNo work and posting it on Wattpad as I go. My inspiration was a flash fiction piece I did for AW's flash fiction challenge, and at the time I thought, "This is the most fun I ever had writing, but I think that if I made this a novel, it wouldn't be as fun." So the serialization is *meant* to be a bunch of related shorts in one package. But it's me, so I'm sure an arc of some kind will show up.

The new forums open on the 5th, so I'm awaiting that!

I posted my 2007 one as I went along (in the days long before I was thinking of submitting anything.) It was just on my Live Journal, but several people were reading. (Brave souls prepared to read a first draft with nothing but a quick spell check run over it - when I even remembered to do that! :D) It was motivating, knowing I had them waiting to know what happened next, so I'd better get the next bit up, or else.

Becky Black

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I'm in! This will be my first Nano! I don't even know what this consists of and have to do some reading about it. But I have an idea that I've been thinking about for a while. I thought I'd start writing it too early but I haven't been able to write anything recently. So I'm going to spend October planning (which is odd for me since I'm normally a pantser), and hopefully that will help me speed through in November.

I've always found a good outline makes for a good November. Not that I'm not continually tweaking and revising that outline the whole time. But generally I know when I sit down to write, what I have to make happen in that session.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
I've always found a good outline makes for a good November. Not that I'm not continually tweaking and revising that outline the whole time. But generally I know when I sit down to write, what I have to make happen in that session.

Agreed - endings seem to be one of my Achilles heels, so it helps to know how I'm closing it out even if I go skewing off somewhere.

This is year twelve for me, I think. Anyone considering doing it: DO IT. You'll never know if you like it or not if you don't try!

I'm going to try and beat my previous top wordcount during November - that number will be necessary as I'm planning on banging out as much as I can of a series. I also have a backup project to work on when I'm ready to throw the novel out the window. Don't mind me, I get kind of stupid and insane in November :crazy:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I posted my 2007 one as I went along (in the days long before I was thinking of submitting anything.) It was just on my Live Journal, but several people were reading. (Brave souls prepared to read a first draft with nothing but a quick spell check run over it - when I even remembered to do that! :D) It was motivating, knowing I had them waiting to know what happened next, so I'd better get the next bit up, or else.

I have fairly polished first drafts, so I'm somewhat confident about posting the day of. For the flash challenges I've done, I haven't regretted posting the day of (or even within 90 minutes). I'm more concerned about it at the arc-level (because even if I stick to the plan of 30 individual stories, I expect I'll want something climaxy at the end, which will require some amount of arcing).

I do something new for each NaNo, so the serialization is the new thing I'm doing this year. It totally may fail, lol

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
*joins TAM, brings fresh pot of hot water for tea*

I'm in. I'll be continuing whatever WIP strikes my fancy on any given day.

ETA: It liiiiivesss!

Last edited:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
*Brings coffee for the rest of us*

Hullo everybody! I'm new, and I'm SO in for this business!

This year I'll be writing the final novella in my series of short fantasy stories and I am pumped! I'm also currently regionless, as I was too late to sign up as an ML and put my town on the map. It's okay though, because I found this site. I hope to be writing alongside all of you when the words start flying. Good luck to everybody!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I voted no, and it should stay no - November is going to be consumed by a certain post apocalyptic game and house hunting - but the siren song of Nano is just too sweet. I know I shouldn't, but I really want to. :Ssh:

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
Welp, bracing myself for my first ever NaNo. Super scared because I write super slow. Thinking about cheating a lil' by plotting the hell out of it.

citrine

writing the night away
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I last tried NaNo—2012, eek—but I think it'd be fun to give it another shot. I've got three-quarters of a plot and oodles of research under my belt already, so I'm feeling a little more confident. Generous estimate: two chapters (maybe three) before I hit a plot snag.

Last edited:

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
This is my fifth year and I'm hoping to have a goddamn outline this time. Right now I have a vague idea of a devil possession occurring inside of a prison. I'm going for full horror genre this time.

Also, I'm trying to talk my coworker into joining me for Nano. We'll see.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in. I don't write much anymore, but I always love me some NaNoWriMo. My novel's title is The Mortal Gravity, it's a scifi/dystopia. Can't wait.

My region doesn't have a liaison, so I'm thinking of organizing some informal write-in's at Bruegger's Bagels...

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
Undecided. I want to, but I'm just not sure I have it in me this year.

Is it better to make the attempt and get partway, or sit this year out and just focus on writing how much I would in a normal month?

Status
Not open for further replies.