Angry Robot Announce 2015 Open Door Period

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com
Tuesday is the 8 week deadline they cited for a nudge, but I think I'll probably wait until the new year. Either way, makes me think it's more likely to be a no than a yes since it's taken this long.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
It's not a "no" until they say "no" :)

Also worth noting that AR have been moving office locations over the last week so they're bound to be a bit behind at the moment.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Tuesday is the 8 week deadline they cited for a nudge, but I think I'll probably wait until the new year. Either way, makes me think it's more likely to be a no than a yes since it's taken this long.
It's a maybe, not a no.

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca

To paraphrase that English lady, I live in confident hope of a miracle. Who knows? Maybe we'll start the new year with good news! ;)

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com
Got my rejection today. The editor said the readers were VERY turned off by the brutal murder of a little boy. I probably would be too! Thing is, I've read this manuscript a couple (twenty or thirty) times, and there's a pretty distinct lack of child murder. That's something I pride myself on, in fact!

Oh well. About what I've come to expect from this industry. Onward and upward.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Um - if you definitely don't have that in your story, I'd be going back to AR about that. They might have meant that to go to a different author.

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com
Sigh. I may go ahead and do that. I'm a little hesitant to write back, because it was a pretty damn scathing rejection, and I feel like the two most likely responses are "Oh, sorry, that was the wrong one! Here's your scathing rejection instead!" or "Oh, sorry! We thought <section y> described child murder because of your 'inexperience in novel writing'."

I guess I don't have a lot to lose, though. Maybe I'll check with my beta readers and see if there was any event that could have even generously been mistaken to include something like that.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. I may go ahead and do that. I'm a little hesitant to write back, because it was a pretty damn scathing rejection, and I feel like the two most likely responses are "Oh, sorry, that was the wrong one! Here's your scathing rejection instead!" or "Oh, sorry! We thought <section y> described child murder because of your 'inexperience in novel writing'."

I guess I don't have a lot to lose, though. Maybe I'll check with my beta readers and see if there was any event that could have even generously been mistaken to include something like that.
:) DEFINITELY write them. You have absolutely nothing to lose. I'd make light of it. You know, like: Ahem. I think you meant this email for someone else. NO child murders in my book. grin, grin.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
:) DEFINITELY write them. You have absolutely nothing to lose. I'd make light of it. You know, like: Ahem. I think you meant this email for someone else. NO child murders in my book, TITLE NAME, by YOUR NAME. grin, grin.

^ just to help them make sure they've cross-referenced it correctly...

tebakutis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tebakutis.com
Fantastic!!

In that case we have three AWers still in the running at the fulls stage, which is one up on what we had last time:

TamMac - Science Fiction
tebakutis - Science Fiction
zegota - Fantasy

Fingers crossed for all three of you!

I haven't been back here for awhile, but just wanted to thank you again for tracking this, Pete. It must have been quite the undertaking, but man ... 1118 manuscripts? My mind boggles. So far as I know, my book is still in the running (assuming I didn't miss an e-mail) so my fingers remain crossed. To everyone on here who wished me luck and offered encouragement, THANK YOU, and to TamMac and zegota, I want to join everyone else in wishing YOU the best of luck!

Here's hoping for good news.

EDIT: Oh GD, I should have read the thread closer instead of skimming. Zegota, it really does sound to me like some wires got crossed. I also imagine the above sounds rather crass having not noticed your post ... please forgive me, as that was not my intent (just me failing to RTFM). Regardless, I encourage you to contact AR about what happened. It just sounds bizarre.

Last edited:

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zegota, I don't know if you've been back to AR about this or not but I'm happy to speak to someone for you if you want, just let me know.

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
I'm out!
Thanks for the good wishes pals, but it's a bounce for me. Actually, it was a bounce in August, but the email seems to have gone astray. Good luck to the folks still in the running!

TMeuretBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I'm out!
Thanks for the good wishes pals, but it's a bounce for me. Actually, it was a bounce in August, but the email seems to have gone astray. Good luck to the folks still in the running!

I'm sorry Tam. That's a huge bummer.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sorry to hear that, Tam.

So, it's just tebakutis left in the running from AW then? Hope you hear good news soon!

tebakutis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tebakutis.com
Sorry to hear that, Tam.

So, it's just tebakutis left in the running from AW then? Hope you hear good news soon!

Hmm ... I *hope* I'm still in the running! I mean, I haven't received a rejection, and I've been watching my spam filter in case. But I received a rejection (on an earlier manuscript) and the full request without issue, so I don't see how anything from the same folks would end up in spam. But man, publishing is a slow business!

Given I submitted my fully in July, I have refrained from querying because a year turnaround is not uncommon. If I don't hear anything by say, April 2017, however, I may politely query just to make sure I didn't miss an e-mail.

Contributing to the "Aw, shucks!" replies to TamMac. Angry Robot turned down my last manuscript as well (the one I submitted before submitting the current one) but did give positive feedback, so I hope you can take some small comfort in that your story was interesting enough that they asked for a full despite all the competition. Keep chugging away!

Will post news if/when I receive it. Fingers crossed!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hmm ... I *hope* I'm still in the running! I mean, I haven't received a rejection, and I've been watching my spam filter in case. But I received a rejection (on an earlier manuscript) and the full request without issue, so I don't see how anything from the same folks would end up in spam. But man, publishing is a slow business!

Yep, publishing moves at a glacial pace at the best of times. I don't think it's too soon for a polite nudge, though.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net

Given I submitted my fully in July, I have refrained from querying because a year turnaround is not uncommon. If I don't hear anything by say, April 2017, however, I may politely query just to make sure I didn't miss an e-mail.

Contributing to the "Aw, shucks!" replies to TamMac. Angry Robot turned down my last manuscript as well (the one I submitted before submitting the current one) but did give positive feedback, so I hope you can take some small comfort in that your story was interesting enough that they asked for a full despite all the competition. Keep chugging away!

Will post news if/when I receive it. Fingers crossed!

Got my fingers crossed for you! Ah the long, long wait of publishing, always fun.

tebakutis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tebakutis.com
Welp, just to close the loop here, I got my rejection from AR today. They did like the book, but thought it was too much of a police procedural (and not enough of a character-centric science fiction story) which is ... rather accurate, to be honest. :) The review took about 9 months from the me sending the full request to getting a response, for those who are curious about the timeline.

So, now the only thing I'm waiting on is a response from agent who requested a full of my *other* novel (an espionage SF thriller), which I will hopefully hear about (one way or the other) in a month or two. In the mean time, at least I know Loose Circuit has potential, so I'll probably be tossing it out to agents for the next few months to see if I get any bites.

Pete, thanks again for volunteering your time to track this stuff!