Agency asks me what I'm working on next...

Ashleythewriter77

Ashley
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I queried an agent and the agency got back to me and asked for 50 pages. Two days later they asked for the full manuscript. Last week they just asked, simply, "What are you working on next?" I responded that night and have yet to hear back (not that I expect to hear back so quickly).

But... this is a good sign, right?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you heard back for any comments on your current MS?

Ashleythewriter77

Ashley
Registered
Reaction score
It's a literary assistant doing all the communication and no comments yet on current manuscript, which was what I found the most confusing.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Chances are, the agent told the assistant what questions to ask. They probably want to know if you're working on a sequel or another book so they can gauge whether or not you're at least somewhat prolific. Many agents prefer writers they can have a long-term relationship with. If they like the idea for the next book as well as the one you sent, they'll probably be giving you a call :) Good luck!

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds pretty exciting to me. In the absence of any definite negative feedback, hang onto the possibility that they already love you.

mongoose29

quelling the inner editor
Registered
Reaction score
Very exciting, Ashley! I'll be curious to hear how it all shakes out. Keep us posted.

Ashleythewriter77

Ashley
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I'm actually impressing myself to be honest. No drugs, except caffeine, which should make it worse... I did just send out a few more queries in order to keep myself a little more grounded.

Ashleythewriter77

Ashley
Registered
Reaction score
It's been almost two weeks now since they asked that question-- do I nudge or do I still wait patiently? They haven't had my manuscript for two months yet.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Just wait until three months have passed, then you can follow up if you haven't heard back. It's possible they are considering asking to look at something else if you have another MS ready. Or are simply considering how they might approach a long term plan for your work. I have a friend who was asked to submit multiple MSs to a particular agency because they liked her voice but didn't think they could sell what she had ready. So, just be patient.